what does"keying off the S&P 500 "mean?

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2013 09:18 pm
Hi, here's a sentence I'm unclear of its meaning: Global equity markets, keying off the S&P 500, have climbed over the last six weeks, and other round of QE is expected shortly.

what does"keying off the S&P 500 "and "have climbed over the last six weeks"mean?

Thanks very much!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,565 • Replies: 3
No top replies

JTT

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2013 09:46 pm
@daffodillesun,
Quote:
Global equity markets, keying off the S&P 500, have climbed over the last six weeks, and other round of QE is expected shortly.

what does"keying off the S&P 500 "and "have climbed over the last six weeks"

Global equity markets, taking their lead from the S&P 500, have gone up in value over the last six weeks, and another round of QE is expected shortly.

daffodillesun

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2013 09:59 pm
@JTT,
Thanks for your generous help! But I'm still unclear of the meaning of the phrase "take one's lead from", does it mean the equity market is lead by S&P 500? Thank you!
JTT

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2013 10:19 pm
@daffodillesun,
Quote:
Thanks for your generous help! But I'm still unclear of the meaning of the phrase "take one's lead from", does it mean the equity market is [lead] led by S&P 500? Thank you!

You're welcome, D.

Global equity markets, following the lead of the S&P 500, have risen over the last six weeks, and other round of QE is expected shortly.

I didn't know what QE was.

0 Replies