psych level

NicoLyn

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 09:03 am
From The Brass Verdict by Michael Connelly. During a direct examination, a sheriff's deputy tells the story of how he took a suspect charged with unlawful discharge of weapons to prison. He said "I transported him all the way to the county jail in downtown where he could be placed on the psych level". So what is the "psych level" in a prison? Is it a section of the prison that is reserved for detaining suspects or criminals with mental problems? Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 1,297 • Replies: 19
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 09:14 am
Americans often call the floors or storeys of building "levels" so I suspect that the "psych level" is a floor of the jail building where prisoners with psychiatric illnesses are kept.
NicoLyn

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 09:26 am
@contrex,
Thank you for your reply,contrex. But shouldn't prisoners with psychiatric illnesses be kept in asylums?
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 10:27 am
Depends on the mental illness, if it is easily treated it will be done in a special area of the prison. Many mental health hospitals are not equipped to handle violent criminals. There are special facilities for the criminally insane, but off hand I cant think of one. There was such a facility near me in Annapolis, Crownsville State Hospital, but its been closed for many years and patients relocated to other facilities. I don't think asylum is used anymore unless you are talking about political asylum.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 12:19 pm
@NicoLyn,

Lyn I have often find the following approach to work admirably, that is, to post a likely phrase

http://www.google.ca/#hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&gs_rn=5&gs_ri=psy-ab&cp=36&gs_id=2&xhr=t&q=what's+the+%22psych+level%22+in+a+prison&es_nrs=true&pf=p&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&oq=what's+the+%22psych+level%22+in+a+prison&gs_l=&pbx=1&fp=1&biw=1242&bih=613&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&cad=b

Don't be surprised however if I am roundly attacked for this suggestion. Some a2k'ers seem terribly angry at all times about nearly everything and will attack almost anyone at all for no apparent reason
contrex

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 12:35 pm
dahileman, you keep posting copied-and-pasted links to Google Canada that don't work, at least not here in Britain. I suspect they may not work for very many people.
contrex

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 12:38 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:
I don't think asylum is used anymore unless you are talking about political asylum.

Asylum (countable noun) very old fashioned name for a mental hospital or "'lunatic asylum'.

Asylum (non countable noun) still current term for 'refuge', especially in 'political asylum'
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 01:15 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
links to Google Canada that don't work,
Thank you Con for that report, makes a good subject for new thread

http://able2know.org/topic/210086-1
Ragman

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 01:29 pm
@dalehileman,
Perhaps you don't understand how Google performs? If you're in Canada, Google Canada (Google.ca) works for Canadian residents. If in US, Google US works for USA residents. Same with UK, I believe.

At least my experience has been non-viewable links when the link is Canadian or UK and vice versa for Canadian and UK friends with Google US inks.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 02:02 pm
@Ragman,
Quote:
At least my experience has been non-viewable links when the link is Canadian or UK and vice versa for Canadian and UK friends with Google US inks.
You're joking aren't you Rag, making fun of an old man with limited digital experience and oncoming Alz's

I confess to having done that a couple of times too; though I didn't elicit a single objection. Evidently they thought I was perfectly serious

Anyhow Rag thanks again, you've once more made my day
contrex

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 02:38 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
You're joking aren't you Rag, making fun of an old man with limited digital experience and oncoming Alz's

dalehileman, over the last weeks and months I have come to appreciate and enjoy your posts on here. Please do not change one little bit.

dalehileman

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 05:54 pm
@contrex,
Bless you Con, you've made my evening and maybe my entire week

Oops only 7 hrs left. Well then, next week too
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 06:00 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Depends on the mental illness, if it is easily treated it will be done in a special area of the prison. Many mental health hospitals are not equipped to handle violent criminals. There are special facilities for the criminally insane, but off hand I cant think of one. There was such a facility near me in Annapolis, Crownsville State Hospital, but its been closed for many years and patients relocated to other facilities. I don't think asylum is used anymore unless you are talking about political asylum.

Fantastic! When I was stationed at Ft. Meade, I and a friend had a couple of dates with two of the nurses there. Anyhow, the name sounds very familiar, and Maryland isn't that big a state.

Colorado used to have a state hospital at Pueblo with two forensic wards.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 06:03 pm
@dalehileman,
Odd....works in Oz.
roger

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 06:08 pm
@dlowan,
I didn't follow that link, but it looks like we are doing something wrong here. I remember from abuzztime there was a discussion on sex predators, and two of the Germans were firm in stating their program had much lower rates of recidivish than we. I'm pretty sure they were Walter and Neoheehee.
0 Replies

NicoLyn

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 08:21 pm
@glitterbag,
Got it, thanks.
0 Replies

NicoLyn

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 08:22 pm
@dalehileman,
The link works for me. Thanks a lot, dalehileman.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2013 10:27 am
@NicoLyn,
Lyhn most happuy to ber of help
0 Replies

Lola

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2013 12:18 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
Don't be surprised however if I am roundly attacked for this suggestion. Some a2k'ers seem terribly angry at all times about nearly everything and will attack almost anyone at all for no apparent reason

Ain't it the truth? Perhaps we should send em to the psych level of A2K. And also, your link worked for me too. Thanks.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2013 01:03 pm
@Lola,
Lola most happy to be of help

Note this time, I read my own posting before saving
0 Replies