Should "be allowed to stop and feet to take root" be "be allowed to stop his feet to take root"?

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 12:54 am

Context:
He (Obama) needs a group, a community, one place which could be allowed to stop and feet to take root, aplace which can test loyalty.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 339 • Replies: 8
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
PUNKEY

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 04:03 pm
@oristarA,
means:
. . . one place which could allow (him) to stop and (allow his) feet to take root, a place which can test loyalty.

roger
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 04:24 pm
He (Obama) needs a group, a community, one place where he could be allowed to stop and take root, a place which can test loyalty.

Generally, we say a person has roots, or a person takes root. I've never heard a reference to feet taking root. There's no logic here; just common useage.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 04:29 pm
@oristarA,
What is the source of that sentence?
roger

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 04:30 pm
@ehBeth,
I have long suspected that oristar has little control over what he has to translate.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 04:36 pm
@ehBeth,
I can usually find the original materials online when I'm trying to make sense of his offerings. This one, nope.
oristarA

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 06:37 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

I can usually find the original materials online when I'm trying to make sense of his offerings. This one, nope.

From this book:
http://www.360buy.com/bigimage.aspx?id=11170686
The chapter Influence from Rigina
A newly published book that is probably subject to the limitation of copyright.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 06:40 pm
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:

means:
. . . one place which could allow (him) to stop and (allow his) feet to take root, a place which can test loyalty.

Sounds reasonable but a bit awkward. Just "stop and take root" is okay.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 03:29 pm
This is probably conversational political commentary.

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Should "be allowed to stop and feet to take root" be "be allowed to stop his feet to take root"?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/04/2024 at 03:21:53