I hate it when people ask "What's up?"

SCoates

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 08:15 pm
In response to SealPoet's post of what to say when people ask "How are you?" That one's easy, but what do you do when they say "What's up?"
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,664 • Replies: 34
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 08:21 pm
I reply: "Prices."
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 08:23 pm
The ceiling.

My Gawd! How did THAT get there?
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 08:24 pm
'what's up' went out with 'keepin' it real', or did they go out cuz everyone still uses them? I think they might be permanent.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 08:41 pm
I've been saying what's up for decades, I think it's permanent. Usually I use it with family these days.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 08:42 pm
Hey, littlek....what's up?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 10:21 pm
nuthin
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 10:34 pm
littlek wrote:
I've been saying what's up for decades, I think it's permanent. Usually I use it with family these days.

You're right, that one beer commercial kind of wore it out though cuz then evryone made it a point to say, whaaaaassuuuuup?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 10:34 pm
OK, I don't get all of this kvetching about basic social interaction.

I LIKE "How ya doin'?" I LIKE "What's up?" It's a few notches down on the intimacy scale from a handshake or a hug, but I see it as serving a similar purpose. They have an infinite number of uses and an infinite number of possible responses that serve as social lubricant, or maybe social glue ("Hey, who put Elmer's in the K-Y tube?"). It's an easy way to connect, which can also easily be deeper. I have had many conversations with friends, especially in front of other people, which held tons of meaning within that framework.

"How ya doin'?"

"Um."

"Oh no, really?"

"Yeah."

"Daaaaaaaamn..."

<hug>
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 10:35 pm
LOL! You are so funny! I like your posts...
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 10:40 pm
But that's with someone you know. If you don't know someone it's annoying to have to think up good answers.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 10:42 pm
:-)

You ain't bad yourself. Though I think it's high time that purty sunset turns into a way macho bunny...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 10:44 pm
But, good answers? "Fine." That's really so hard?

I dunno, I have a bias, I love predictable verbal interaction so lipreading is a breeze and I can pay attention to all those micro-expressions goin' on. "Fine" can mean seventy eight zillion different things, and then the trick is follow-up.

Edit: wait, this is the "what's up" thread, not the "How ya doin'?" thread, sorry. Still, the principle applies. (I usually say something like, "not much, you?") The WORDS don't matter, it's just a little connection thing, a mood-gauging thing.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 10:50 pm
You can't say "Fine" when someone says "What's up?" It makes no sense, and I forbid it.

Edit: Oh, I see, scratch this comment. ...wait. No, don't scratch it. I still forbid it just the same. It is forbidden.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 10:53 pm
Aye-aye.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 11:05 pm
sozobe wrote:
:-)

You ain't bad yourself. Though I think it's high time that purty sunset turns into a way macho bunny...

Done. Now to get the glue as far away from the KY as possible...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 11:18 pm
And watch out for the Bengay, too, X.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 07:56 pm
truth
I know a guy who answeres, "Not me; got any suggestions?"
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 11:34 pm
I agree that waaaassszup wore the question into triteness. But, I don't say wasssszup and no one else I know does. Well, there was that couple of weeks when I trained my then 2 year old neice to say it, but that's different.

I agree with Soz. What's up is just an icebreaker.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 02:38 am
The worst reply to the question, 'what's up,' is 'aeroplanes.' I hold it as a maxim, that any sardonic response to the question 'what's up?' wouldn't make a right-minded hyena in a pillow factory laugh.

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » I hate it when people ask "What's up?"
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/12/2024 at 09:56:51