What is the average lifespan of sneakers?

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2013 01:07 pm
All things considered, how long should one expect a typical pair of cross trainer or running sneakers to last (if one used them 6 or 7 days a week)? Say a moderate pair of sneakers ($40 to 50 per pair). I also go to the gym and run on a treadmill about two times a week.

How long do you keep using a pair of well worn sneakers before you replace them with new ones? Until the bottom of the shoes are treadless? Until you see the tips of your toes through the front/top of the sneakers?

I'm in the process of pushing my regular sneakers (they'll be 1 year old sneakers in March) into the backup sneakers role by buying a new pair and I'll be retiring my old backup sneakers (which I bought according to Amazon in June of 2011) ... into the trash can.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 8,023 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2013 01:24 pm
@tsarstepan,
As a healthful habit, I never use a pair of sneakers 2 days in a row if I can avoid doing it. I rotate wearing them either with another identical pair of sneaks or with a pair that is not worn out. That gives the sneakers a chance to dry out properly.

The cost to your joints in knee problems from worn out or improper shoes (for your particular gait) can be great. When you spend only $40 or $50 on a pair of sneakers, you get what you pay for. They aren't built to hold up over time and they often don't support your body or allow your foot to plant properly ... in the way you need in order to avoid problems.

I look for wear all over the sole....and just like car tires ... I treat the whole shoe shoe as worn out wherever the most worn out part is. Typically that wear will show up as either being visible at the toe and/or the heal. (first part of the foot strike and the last part). When you see the tread worn down here, chuck them! Some people treat their cars better than they treat their bodies.

All that being said, no pair of sneakers (at $40-50 cost) should be kept longer than one year. Believe it or not, the materials break down (shock absorbency) with ozone and sunlight - Even when simply exposed to sunlight or ozone, they can lose it.

Often with worn out or improper shoes for your gait (toe-in or toe-out), you'll find that you'll develop knee, hip or back problems due to their lack of shock absorbency and/or support. At first the damage and/or gait problems can be subtle - then later on the damage toll mounts up.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2013 01:36 pm
@Ragman,
I'd also go to a specialty store the first time, and seek out information re your particular kind of feet. I'm thinking of Phidippides - they were great re figuring out my feet, when they had a store in Los Angeles. Looks like their only bricks and mortar store now is in Atlanta. There are probably similar runners shoe stores in NYC. No! Not the typical sneaker store for your first foot analysis..

http://www.phidippides.com/index.php/fit-process

(Others may have other advice..)

I also remember Runners World magazine having info re particular types of feet and what were the best shoes within different brands for each kind of foot..
but that was a while ago.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2013 01:56 pm
@Ragman,
There's also mileage as a consideration. We buy the more expensive shoes but we're still replacing them in a year or so, due to upped miles.
Ragman

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2013 02:09 pm
@jespah,
I've seen that mileage number vary between 750 and 1000 miles. What numbers have you seen?
Advocate

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2013 02:26 pm
I play tennis on clay about three or four times a week, and get about six months on a pair of tennis shoes.

BTW, I highly recommend New Balance shows, especially if you have a wide foot. Further, I believe that they are still made in the USA.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2013 02:46 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

As a healthful habit, I never use a pair of sneakers 2 days in a row if I can avoid doing it.

this was general advice I was given re footwear at a foot clinic a couple of decades ago - switch out the shoes every day - they last longer and stay supportive longer

I know it doesn't apply here but I was also told that heel height should be varied on a day by day basis for achilles tendon care. Even a half-inch difference can be helpful.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2013 03:12 pm
@Ragman,
I have seen those #s, too.

@Advocate, come to Boston - New Balance are made here - the factory outlet is near one of the places we've gone for gatherings (the Stockyard).
Ragman

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2013 03:13 pm
@jespah,
Wow! Neil's Stockyard is still there..next Ch 38 studios/antenna?

I used to live near the NB factory outlet nr Watertown-Cambridge line.
jespah

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2013 03:21 pm
@Ragman,
Yeppers - and we had a gathering there I think it's going on 2 years ago. Lustig Andrei was there, George, RP, littlek, me, possibly also MassCass though I'm not certain. The restaurant was closed recently. It's been reopened under new management.
Ragman

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2013 03:32 pm
@jespah,
Yeah, I think Cass mentioned that gtg. She lives now across town here in Sarasota. I attended one of those gtg back around 2000 downtown in the Financial District.

Back to the topic, I remember getting sneakers at NB factory outlet, then breaking them in by running around Fresh Pond a couple of times, then up Belmont Street (long very steady incline) to nr Cushing sq in Belmont. I get winded thinking about that now. Of course, being fair to me, that was 34 yrs ago.
0 Replies