Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2013 03:31 pm
I find this a fascinating topic which is entirely inappropriate to discuss within a thread in which someone began with the almost cliche "cry for help," and so I decided to start one which isn't based on an ulterior motive.

If the promise of a better life after death was intended to keep peasants in their place, why the Christian suicide taboo?

Suicide seems to me to be the ultimate act of self-focus (as opposed to the negative connotation of selfish), but it also seems somewhat self-focused (or even selfish) for loved ones to find it so terrible a possibility.

I wonder though if this explains the more generalized societal attitude towards suicide as a expression of mental illness.

There is, of course, something of a societal exception made for people we can all agree have found themselves in an entirely untenable position, with the most accepted being an inevitable but lingering and agonizing process of dying, but most of us also make an exception for the person who has painted himself into a very tight and uncomfortable corner.

Clearly suicide is perceived somewhat differently in different cultures, but I am focused on Western culture, which really doesn't think the idea of honor suicide is all that crazy.

Why do we make it so hard for people to kill themselves in a manner in which they will not suffer?

Yes, if painless suicide was easy, a lot of mentally troubled people would be killing themselves rather than obtaining help, but without intending to be callous, so what?

It's not as if these folk only have a single flirtation with taking their lives and so if stopped will never consider it again. Preventing someone who is mentally troubled from ending their life doesn't assure a long and happy life thereafter. the opposite is often the case and additional suicide attempts are very often in their future.

Perhaps someone is more knowledgable on this topic than I and can share with us, but my sense if that there are very few instances of someone who has been prevented from acting on a true suicidal impulse leading a long and happy life.

If we can be said to have any immutable rights, it's the right to end our life one of them?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,067 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Iamlife

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2013 07:38 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Regardless of the kind of pain a person is trying to end, suicide becomes the only hope they can see in their own mind. Even an honor suicide happens because the person can't live with the idea of what other people might think of them. Mental illness is very complex, but there is hope if a person refuses to allow circumstances to shut them down. As long as you are alive you are needed by someone. Depression can cause a person to only see their own pain, so they believe that they are no good for anyone.
Suicide brought on due to psychical pain or mental pain will end the same way. Whatever the future might have been for a person in this world, its over the moment death comes and hope ends.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 11:35 pm
@Iamlife,
Iamlife wrote:

Whatever the future might have been for a person in this world, its over the moment death comes and hope ends.

The same can be said for any death.

Your response (and thank you for it) doesn't address the question of why we should make it difficult for people to kill themselves.

If I own anything, it should be my life.

The prohibitions against suicide are cultural and not a result of society valuing my life more than I do.

Society really doesn't care whether my life is one long passage of pain and sorrow. We like to think we care, but how is such care actually mainifested?

There are thousands (if not more) of people leading desparately sad lives and many are not very happy about the prospect of longevity.

What is society doing to make their lives better?

One can argue, as I might, that society has no duty to do anything for these people, and if this is the case, then society has no right to stop them from ending their lives.

What society can and should do is establish centers where those who wish to commit suicide can come for an easy passage from this world. Upon anyone's first visitation to such a center, psychological counselling and treatment should be required. Undoubtedly, some with counselling or medication will overcome their desire to end their lives, but just as certainly, there will be others for whom there is no "cure" and rather than sending them back to an existence filled with pain and the fear and agony of suicide by gun, blade, etc
enable them to chose death with dignity and peace.
0 Replies