What does "sticking" mean here? "remained incomplete"?

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2013 10:28 pm

Context:

But all we can think of is that cute little Disney/Pixar fish, star of the 2003 film, Finding Nemo.

The Weather Channel chose the name, and it obviously seems to be, um, sticking.

According to the Weather Channel website, they picked it because: Nemo is a "Greek boy's name meaning 'from the valley,'" and also "means 'nobody' in Latin."

But, as the Los Angeles Times points out, to most of us it will always mean an adorable clownfish with the overprotective single dad.

More:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2013/02/08/blizzard-named-after-cute-nemo-movie-fish/1902631/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 307 • Replies: 3
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
Ceili
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2013 10:36 pm
@oristarA,
No. The weather channel gave the storm a name and despite the opinions that the name will always conjure up a cartoon fish, the name has stuck, like glue.
I'm not sure who chooses the names for storms but I don't think it's normally the Weather Channel. So, it appears, from what little I've read, that the name is really a nickname applied by the TV station. And like some nicknames, even when you do your best to shake 'em, sometimes they get used more than the given or proper name.
oristarA

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2013 12:16 am
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

No. The weather channel gave the storm a name and despite the opinions that the name will always conjure up a cartoon fish, the name has stuck, like glue.
I'm not sure who chooses the names for storms but I don't think it's normally the Weather Channel. So, it appears, from what little I've read, that the name is really a nickname applied by the TV station. And like some nicknames, even when you do your best to shake 'em, sometimes they get used more than the given or proper name.

It seems:
sticking - haunting
Ceili

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2013 01:09 am
@oristarA,
Yes, in a way. It's not always a bad thing.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What does "sticking" mean here? "remained incomplete"?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/04/2024 at 05:22:26