What does "we can't chew our air" mean?

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 07:17 am

Context:
Things may be bad, but at least we can't chew our air.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 861 • Replies: 6
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
engineer

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 07:22 am
@oristarA,
It means that "at least our air is not very polluted." "Chew our air" is an exaggeration for effect (or hyperbole).
oristarA

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 07:26 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

It means that "at least our air is not very polluted." "Chew our air" is an exaggeration for effect (or hyperbole).

Got it. Thank you.
But I failed to understand why "can't chew our air" can mean "at least our air is not very polluted."
Chew? Chew air? It makes no sense to me in the context of Chinese language.
XXSpadeMasterXX
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 08:12 am
@oristarA,
I think it is just a very over-dramatic way. Of saying that the air has so much garbage in it, or so many impurities. That one can basically taste it. Or would be "chewing it". I know it is disgusting to think about. But the writer did get their point across with their hyperbole. So by them saying "can't chew our air" was an effective way for them to stress how disgusting they think it is to have polluted air. And imply that by not being able to "chew it". Would mean it was clean, or unpolluted air.

0 Replies

Berty McJock

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 08:19 am
could it possibly be not JUST that the air is polluted, and you can taste it , but that the air is so thick with pollution you could chew it. a bit like when we have a very strong coffee, we make jokes about standing the spoon up in it.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 11:21 am
@oristarA,
Ori - you know better than to ask a question like this without context!

China has a air pollution problem. Is your question from a discussion about this?

Otherwise, it's an idiom that simply could mean "wasting time" or "working in vain."
oristarA

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2013 12:02 am
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:

Ori - you know better than to ask a question like this without context!

China has a air pollution problem. Is your question from a discussion about this?

Yes. Americans were commenting on the thick smog that covered 1.3 million square kilometers of China.

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What does "we can't chew our air" mean?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 04:41:35