Does "get a little carried away" mean "become a little negligent of their duty"?

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 12:17 am

Context:

Now Sasha and Malia aren't here tonight because they're grounded. You can't just take Air Force One on a joy ride to Manhattan. (Laughter.) I don't care whose kids you are. (Laughter.) We've been setting some ground rules here. They're starting to get a little carried away.

More:
http://politicalhumor.about.com/od/barackobama/a/obama-white-house-correspondents-transcript.htm

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 246 • Replies: 4
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
roger

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 12:30 am
@oristarA,
It is highly improbably that the Obama girls would commandeer Air Force One. If they did, it would be way beyond getting a little carried away, but would not be negligent of their duty. Daughters of presidents do not have duties. We may have expectations, but they have no duties.

This is humor by understatement.
oristarA

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 12:34 am
@roger,
Thank you.
I think I was a little carried away by the translation (book) in my hand.
But I still don't understand the meaning of "They're starting to get a little carried away."
roger
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 01:24 am
@oristarA,
"Carried away" usually refers to an excess of enthusiasm overcoming good judgement. Their good judgement would tell them not to do this, but they got carried away.

Hope that helps.
oristarA

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 02:04 am
@roger,
Yes.
Thank you.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Does "get a little carried away" mean "become a little negligent of their duty"?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/04/2024 at 09:26:22