chai2

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 05:42 pm
I listened to some of this while driving this morning. Too bad I had an appointment and had to get out of the car.

Some of it was funny/charming, other parts poignant, making me ashamed to be an adult.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/188/kid-logic?act=1#play

In the beginning, they were saying that before the age of 6, children don't have a clear understanding of real, and imaginary. Someone would sit in the room with a kid, showing them an empty box, and closing it in front of them. To some of the kids they would say "Let's imagine there's a puppy in the box." to others "Let's imagine there's a monster in the box" They would then ask the kids if there was Really a puppy or monster in there, and the kids would reply that no, they knew they were just pretending.

However, when the adult would leave the room, every kid that imagined a puppy, would peek in, just to make sure. Surprised Every kid that imagined a monster would scoot away from the box a little, just in case.

Then there's the Tooth Fairy. Everybody knows there's a Tooth Fairy. An adult would ask a kid what the TF did with all the teeth, and every one of them had a story, even if it was "She likes to collect them" One little girl said "She takes them to a land far far away, and builds castles with them." The adult asked, "Why doesn't she use bricks like we do to make houses?"

Without missing a beat she replied "Because teeth aren't made of bricks"

SNAP!

A woman remember that she was related to everyone on her street. Aunts, uncles, cousins etc. For her the world was a friendly place where everyone said Hello and gave her hugs. When she got her tricylce, her universe expanded a bit. She pedaled down the street and was amazed to see 2 people sitting on a bench, that she didn't know. Not only didn't she know them, but she knew they must have been ghosts, because they were both white. She stopped and waved at them, wondering if they were really there. One of the ghosts started making a strange noise "Ugckaff, kaff, kaff kaff snort" She immediately figured out the ghosts were talking to her, that's just the language they used.
Of course...duh.

Another man recalled how his father would teach him about the history of the land, and how the white man came and ran off all the natives who were living there, killing them, making them slaves, etc.
As a boy, he heard it as his father talking about "The White Man", and he pictured a tall man, wearing all white, with bleached out skin and hair, that went around doing all these bad things himself. The adult recalls himself thinking as a child that "The White Man" must be one miserable S.O.B.

Then, there was a 4 year old girl who finally thought to ask her father was Christmas was. He explained to her that people were celebrating the birthday of Jesus. Who's Jesus? He bought his girl a childrens bible, and she was fascinated by the pictures, and the especially the stories about Jesus as a baby. He explained to her that Jesus said to treat overs the way you would want to be treated.
Soon after, while driving down the street, they passed a church with a huge cruxifix in front. "Who's THAT?" asked the little girl.
Soooo.....he had to explain that "Some people didn't agree with the things that Jesus said, so.....they killed him." (that must have been a tough talk)

Soon after, the girl was off from school for MLK Day, and dad, also home, took her out to eat. She wanted to know why no school or work, so he explained about Dr. King, and that he was a preacher. That he told people that we should treat everyone the same, no matter what they looked like.

"Just like Jesus said?"

"Yes"

"Did they kill him too?"

ooof, that was a punch in the gut.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 1,740 • Replies: 9
No top replies

chai2

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 06:22 pm
Why is this tagged "another idiot thread"?

If Edgar, ehbeth, Eva, jespha, or any number of others started this thread, there would have been plenty of exchanges already.

I realize it was probably some troll, that tagged this. That's not what bothers me.

I suppose I'm just in a member of those that count.

I personally found these stories, and the information very interesting.

Oh, and while I'm typing....whoever tagged this "another idiot thread" doesn't mean anything to me....just that you proved yourself an idiot.
chai2

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 07:13 pm
Sorry, I apologize.
roger

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 07:17 pm
@chai2,
Wasn't me, but I was drawn in by the idea of baby scientists. Kind of hoping for another Einstein, ya know.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 08:15 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

I don't understand the mean spirited bile (and misplaced) that came with said tag. Interesting thread Chai. I haven't been listening to This American Life in a while though they still provide fascinating and original takes on a wide variety of subjects.

Thanks for the heads up chai. Smile
I tried to bump that tag off and couldn't do it so far.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 08:17 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

I suspect it's part of the fall-out of the Jim Nabors' thread.

__

I'm going to give another go at bumping the tag out.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 08:20 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

chai2 wrote:

I suspect it's part of the fall-out of the Jim Nabors' thread.

I'm glad I stayed away from that thread. I never understand the obsession over celebrity's personal lives. Well at least that tag is gone for now.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 08:26 am
@tsarstepan,
The thread wasn't really about Jim Nabors.

It seemed to have started as a take-off on a piece of Mel Brooks shtick, and then went insanely wrong.

On the upside, we likely won't see the St. Pete's fanboys again.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 09:22 am
Funny - that first story about the tooth fairy is exactly how I found out the tooth fairy was a person/parent (and my name is Rebecca too!) except that my friend Robin told me that her MOTHER was the tooth fairy and a couple of days later when my older brother was making fun of me for believing in the easter bunny he said, 'You probably still believe in the tooth fairy too,' and I said - 'No, I KNOW who the tooth fairy is - it's Mrs. Rosen - Robin's mother,' at which point he just died laughing at me and said, 'Yeah - and so how does she have the keys to everyone's house, huh - you're SUCH an IDIOT....' ha, ha,ha...'
To this day, he's never let me forget that.

I like how my niece deconstructs events very simply. Her little sister said, as they passed a graveyard next to a church, 'I want to go in there and play hide and seek,' and the big sister, who was about six said, 'Savannah - you don't want to go in there. That's where they put dead people.' And Savannah said, 'Where are they then? I don't see any bodies.' And her big sister said, 'Well first they dig a big hole and then they put you in a box and pile the dirt back in and then they put a big rock on top of it with your name on it.' That pretty much explains it!

And then they were talking about Jesus at Christmas time and the fact that Joseph was Jesus' father and Savannah said, 'No - God is Jesus' father - I learned that in Sunday school.' And then her big sister said, 'Well Mary must have gotten divorced then because I KNOW I heard that Joseph is Jesus' father.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 09:29 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
However, when the adult would leave the room, every kid that imagined a puppy, would peek in, just to make sure. Surprised Every kid that imagined a monster would scoot away from the box a little, just in case.

I know adults (lots of adults) that buy into rituals and superstitions. They knock on wood, and throw spilled salt over their shoulders.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Baby Scientists with Faulty Data
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/20/2024 at 09:55:15