Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2013 09:57 am
@boomerang,
spoiler:

it ends happy.
0 Replies

Val Killmore

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2013 11:08 am
@Setanta,
First of all I don't hold a "grudge" against you nor am I trying to "stomp" all over her thread. You have a creative imagination to think that, I'll give you that. Second of all, I was sharing my opinion on the book that I read which you mentioned. Of the two books I didn't know you explicitly stated that the first book was not a recommendation and just part of your dry introduction.
And regarding your summary of Murasaki's life, it is wrong to assume that all women were shunned from reading and writing Chinese. Aristocrats or faded aristocrats were eager to teach their daughters in creative writing in Chinese and immerse them in all kinds of literature to prepare their daughters for court life.
Setanta

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2013 11:20 am
@Val Killmore,
I did not recommend The Tale of Genji to Boom. Your appallingly poor reading skills are no fault of mine. You have displayed your ignorance all over this board, you have effectively lied by editing posts after i have commented on them, you have called me names and made a raft of vicious personal remarks about me. Don't claim that you're not cherishing a grudge. Next time, read the posts more carefully. I posted a link to the book i recommended. I have a good knowledge of Japanese history, and i suspect that your knowledge is as piss-poor as you have demonstrated your knowledge of American history to be.

Do us all the courtesy of not responding to my posts, and not talking to me at all. I assure you it will be no loss to any of us.
Val Killmore

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2013 11:30 am
@Setanta,
And now look at who is getting all personal and "stomping" over Boomer's thread.
And if you remember correctly you recalled the American history in another thread with bias, which I had to correct to make it neutral as possible.
And by your "good knowledge" in Japanese history, you mean you can read the wiki article on Murasaki. I skimmed through it as well, and some of the generalizations and stereotypes in that article was baffling, relative to what I was taught in a course of History of China and Japan while I was in college.
And it's funny that you bring everyone's consent to my freedom to responding to whomever I want, however I want. I really don't care for courtesies either or if others internally give consent or not to how I reply to you anyone else. What can I say? I'm not a people pleaser.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2013 11:33 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Thanks for asking. Just feeling a bit dragged down and sick of Amazon recommending murder stories and other sadness. Couple that with the short days and overcast skies and things just start feeling dreary. I need some book therapy.
I join in that sentiment.
I want to look at beauty and joy,
not conflict nor tension

David
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2013 11:44 am
@Val Killmore,
No, you were absolutely wrong, and you only responded by running off to Wikipedia to read up after i told you about events of which you had previously known nothing. You are personally vicious, you're a liart, and you are profoundly ignorant. I've never put anyone on ignore here, but there's first time for everything.
saab

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2013 11:51 am
Another Swedish book which is on the light side

Karin Brunk Holmqvist, Potensgivarna (The Potency Givers)

This is a novel with great potential to be funny and heart-warming. The story is about two elderly un-married sisters, Tilda and Elida Svensson. They have remained in the family home ever since their parents’ death, and nothing much has changed. The loo is still outside, the heating and cooking is still provided by the stove and water is fetched from the well. Although life has not given them everything they desired, they are content, except for the nagging brother, who wants the house as a summer house for his demanding wife, and would thus prefer the sisters to move to a nursing home – for their own comfort, of course. They would not dream of it, but as far as comfort goes, the outdoor loo is getting harder to stand as age takes its toll. Suddenly there is a change of neighbours, bringing both excitement and worry. The well where the sisters fetch their water is on the adjoining property. But the neighbour turns out to be a charming new gentleman, Alvar Klemens, who soon has the sisters buying new dresses and enjoying a late, almost flirtatious flush of male entertainment. One day they happen to see a local tomcat eating some soil out of Alvar’s flourishing petunia pots, and as a result, seemingly induced with amorous power, pouncing on an unsuspecting feline. Blushing, the sisters watch the act – and an idea about how to make money to pay for an indoor loo is born.

0 Replies

Val Killmore

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2013 11:54 am
@Setanta,
Look at your reaction when I catch you in the wrong, just automatic gainsaying and acting like a bawling prepubescent child. Noting more creative to say? You're quite comical in that regards. And see if I care if you put me on ignore. Ignore away old man.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2013 12:36 am
@boomerang,
Read A Suitable Boy?
dlowan

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2013 12:39 am
@boomerang,
To Kill a Mockingbird? You have probably read it, but if not, while it deals with awful stuff the manner of the writing is so charming it sort of doesn't matter.

Anything by Jane Austen!!!!

I Capture the Castle is a charming little book.....sad stuff but again a lot of fun along the way.

georgeob1

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2013 01:03 am
For an offbeat but intriguing experience you might try a couple of the later novels of Jorge Amado, a well-known and esteemed Brazilian writer. I would recommend "Gabriella, Clove and Cinnamon" or "Dona Flor and her Two Husbands". Both are light hearted, artfully contrived examinations of human nature in very Brazilian settings that make them even a bit more enchanting to most readers. Gabriella is an unforgettablke character.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2013 01:43 am
I realize that you do not suffer from a depression in that sense, but here is an article about happy books...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2271640/Can-good-book-help-beat-depression-GPs-draw-list-27-mood-boosting-reads-help-mental-illness.html
dlowan

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2013 02:43 am
@dlowan,
Gerald Durrell's My Family and Other Animals.......I have adored it since I was about 9.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2013 02:45 am
@saab,
Oh my! I loved some of those books.....Cider With Rosie is a masterpiece.

TH White....The Sword In The Stone.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2013 07:30 am
Wow! Thanks everybody! I use Amazon's "wish list" as my reading queue, adding books that sound interesting when I come across them. That way I'm never left wondering what to read next. I'm adding all the books mentioned here to the queue.

Saab, I just came across that article last night and was going to post it here. Reading therapy indeed!

You're so right, dlowan, about how a book doesn't have to have to have a happy topic to be a happy read; the writing style can make a lot of difference. Lydia Millet's "My Happy Life" is one of my favorites, along with "To Kill A Mockingbird".

Right now I'm reading "Silver Lining Playbook" based on a recommendation from a friend. I mentioned that I'd like to see the movie and they were all "Oh no -- you need to read the book instead. It's such a hopeful thing." And it is! I found my mood improving when I started reading it and that's what led me to ask this question.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2013 10:12 am
@dlowan,
Agree!
0 Replies

Cascadal

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2013 04:15 am
@boomerang,
I think this is a good book to read you must try this one.. " The Tale of Murasaki: A Novel"
0 Replies