jcboy

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2013 03:39 pm
I’ve been going through some old family photos and scanning them. I found this one of my great grandfather; all it says is New York City on the back but no date. Also the second one is his parents, all it says on the back is Narbonne, France but again no date. Not sure why they always seem to leave out the date, perhaps so people didn’t know how old they were.

I have Photoshop on my computer but I don’t really know the program, I mean I’ve never taken a class on how to use it. Basically I use it for sizing, cropping and a little photo editing and that’s all. I did a google search for photo restoration and found several in the Tampa Bay area. I think it might be well worth it to preserve some of these old family photos. What do you think? Have you had any experiences with photo restoration? The photos actually are much better looking in person then my scan job.

http://imageshack.us/a/img43/5614/sc2uy.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img826/5113/sc3o.jpg

View best answer, chosen by jcboy
farmerman
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2013 03:52 pm
@jcboy,
yep. I have lots of old railroad cut photos from the 1900;s an have used them as outcrop locations on tech papers. I go to a guy who has a photo lab and he does all kinds of magic including sharpening the focus.
That first shot of yours, Id put a machine gun in your great grndaddies arm. Hes all set up fpr a good Jewish Mafia shot.

I can pnly handle Photoshop ELements and I think you need more capabilites. Learning Photoshop is like learning how to run a printing press if you do etching. Let a pro handle it ,It isnt that crazy expensive
jcboy

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2013 04:34 pm
@farmerman,
That is so funny you should say that about the Mafia. When I was a kid my grandfather told me he and his father had their own limo service in New York and their number one customers were the mafia. I always thought he was teasing me about that but my father always told me it was probably true!

There is quite a few photo restoration places in the area. I think I’ll take a couple in and see what kind of job they do before taking more. I don’t know anyone who can recommend one for me in the area so I’ll just have to test them out myself.

Izzie

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2013 04:48 pm
@jcboy,
Hi Morgan

A lot depends on the resolution you are scanning in at. The higher the resolution, the better the quality and reduction of pixels.

PS5 can do a lot to assist as you have so many variables to change.

Iff'n you wanna PM or FB a scanned on across to me, I can have a play with it at home... again tho, if poss... increase the scan resolution.

Good luck. Old captures can be the most precious.

Love to our 2.5 men x

ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2013 05:25 pm
@jcboy,
Yes, do it!

No tinkering from me but I had a photo of my long deceased uncle of questionable character, whom I liked, reprinted - I forget how, as this was pre photoshop. The original might or might not have been taken by my father who was a photographer, and was printed at 10 x 13 or thereabouts, and well faded.
Guessing this was somewhere around 1940.

He sounded sort of like Andy Devine (He came to our place a few times in the early fifties). Resigned from the California Bar in the thirties and went to sea as a freighter captain. The photo is of him with a swordfish quite a bit more than twice his size; I've others of him and my father fishing in a small boat on (I think) the Russian River back around 1920.

Anyway, the improved print is framed, and in my kitchen. A treasure.

Recently I've been trying to figure out how to scan it, down size it, and then post it on a2k.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2013 07:31 pm
@Izzie,
Hi Izzie, I just bought this printer a month ago. I gave my old one away because I never used a printer at home but lately I’ve been working from home several days a week so I had to go out and get a new one, this one scans, prints, copies and faxes. When I place a photo to scan it only gives me two options, one to scan as a jpg or a pdf. It wasn’t a very expensive printer. It doesn’t give me the option to change the solution at all. Or maybe I just don’t know how to use it properly.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Photo Restoration
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 12:56:52