How did my phone number become tied to a different person?

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2013 03:16 pm
It started yesterday at the grocery store.

I have one of those loyalty cards that get you the in-store discounts. They also send me coupons and special offers in the mail, addressed to me. I punch in my phone number instead of using a physical card and they've always said "Thank you, Ms. Boomerang. Do you need help out today?" or something like that.

Yesterday they said "Thank you Ms. McRae. Are you D. McRae?" and then she looked at me funny.

Today I've had four phone calls for D. McRae.

How did I suddenly become D. McRae? I could maybe understand it if it was just at the grocery -- somebody accidentally signed up for a card using my phone number. What I don't get is how her name became associated with my phone number elsewhere.

Any ideas?

Is this something I should worry about?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 10 • Views: 2,259 • Replies: 16
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2013 03:18 pm
Probably a clich with the zone numbers (first 3 digits)
Call the store and find out what her number is. Call her and get it straightened out.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2013 03:20 pm
@boomerang,
Have you tried phoning your number today?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2013 03:26 pm
@boomerang,
Why not call your phone company and ask them?
boomerang

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2013 04:32 pm
I have called my phone number and it rings at the house, same as always.

I don't think it has anything to do with the phone company. I think someone is signing up for stuff using my phone number and it is somehow changing other things that are associated with my phone number -- like my grocery card.

Or that my grocery card is somehow attached to something else and that something else is directing people to our number.

It just seems so weird that it all happened at once. It's like I triggered something when I punched in my number at the grocery store....

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2013 04:37 pm
@Mame,
Call your phone company and ask?

Well that can multiply up to some kind of eternal time, at least with f'n Quest now known as Century Link, with the same asshole voice robotting. Yeah, yeah, press 0, but then..

I mention that as it one of the rare times I become homicidal..
jcboy

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2013 04:41 pm
I’ve noticed lately when you shop at different department stores they now not only ask for your zip code but lately they have been asking for your phone number as well to punch in the computer, I usually just tell them they have my zip code and that’s all they're getting.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2013 05:05 pm
@jcboy,
They ask my birthday, and the receipts say all sorts of dates.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2013 05:16 pm
Just imagine being this guy...

Quote:
In the past two years the 59-year-old retiree has been pestered by people showing up at all hours of the day and night at his house, demanding their phones. They've yelled, shown him evidence, called the police - sworn that their phone is in his house.

But he's no thief.

"It's very difficult to say, 'I don't have your phone,' in any other way other than, 'I don't have your phone,' " Dobson said.

What has become a powerful tool for police hunting down bad guys and people who lose their phones or who call 911 has backfired on Dobson. An unexplained glitch with at least one cellphone company is directing people with missing phones to his North Las Vegas home.

http://www.lvrj.com/news/if-you-lose-your-cellphone-don-t-blame-wayne-dobson-186670171.html
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2013 06:20 pm
@jcboy,
I never even give them that and they just punch in something or other. None of your business where I live. I'm just here to buy shoes. Certainly never give out my phone number.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2013 06:22 pm
@ossobuco,
I would make the time and effort if this was bugging me as much as it seems to bug Boomer. I don't like sitting on hold and then punching in 20 numbers to sit on hold a while longer either, but I'd really hate to have the problem she's having. And I'd like to know why and what I can do about it.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 12:06 am
@boomerang,
You really can't figure this out?

Tel-Companies recycle numbers.

The one you have was once someone else's.

You are getting calls and messages intended for the former owner of your number from people who weren't properly advised by the former owner.

Ignore them or, if you are polite, advise them that the person with which they seek to communicate no longer has your number.

I've had my current number for two years and I still get calls and text messages for Ebony.

Apparently, Ebony was a deadbeat, because for the first twelve months or so I was getting dunning mesages from her creditors. In each case I adivsed them that Ebony no longer had the number and they ceased bugging me.

Apparently though she has a **** load of "friends" who still think the number she has is good.

I have to admit that when they text me, I have fun with them:

"Girl, you still owe me $45, when you going to pay me?"

"Never."

"F*ck that b*tch, you owe me my damn money!"

"F*ck you, you're not getting it!"

Eventually I advise Ebony's creditor that I am yanking his chain and he should not send someone to crush her kneecaps, but the lady really should be paying her debts.

Two years later, it's all about parties. Ebony must be something.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 12:12 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Is this something I should worry about?

No if you respond to all these random calls and texts with the fact that you now have a number that was apparently held by someone else.

According to the movies though there are weird foreign agents who won't believe you and will still track you down to your house; armed profusely.

If this worries you, tell your provider that you want a new number and then endure the bother of telling everyone you know of the change.

It could work out to your favor though if the tatoo artist that is dunning you for the tat young Mo got spins his wheel on chasing down your Ebony.
boomerang

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 08:20 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
In other circumstances I would have thought the same thing -- just a reassigned phone number.

But it also changed my grocery store club card name.

I used my phone number in lieu of the card while at the store, as I always have.
I have always been "Ms. Boomerang" at the store -- the cashiers thank you by name after checking the receipt but this day I was "Ms. McRea".
The very next day I started getting calls for Ms. McRea.

I did call the grocery store office. They couldn't explain what happened. They insist they don't share their customer information with anyone.

I'm still mystified.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 09:09 am
@boomerang,
Sorry for being so glib - but like Mame I would call or even go to the phone company (I almost rather go there than call them, as you can tell by that post above, better for my blood pressure).

I recently read a Michael Connolly book that starts with this situation, calls on your phone for someone else - - - - and gets much worse. He's a popular thriller writer. The book is Chasing the Dime, should your curiosity be piqued.
boomerang

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 09:36 am
@ossobuco,
I don't think it really has anything to do with the phone company...
ossobuco

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 09:46 am
@boomerang,
You're probably right.
Hmmm.
0 Replies