Prince Harry talks about taking on the Taliban

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2013 01:52 am

Prince Harry has a very "down to earth style" , "cheeky" even, well for women and those photos.

But has he gone too far, confirming that he has killed?

I suggest that he will have to watch his back, front, sides and I truly hope that nothing happens to him, kind of think he's one of the "good" Royals... Normal.

http://www.news.com.au/world/prince-harry-to-return-from-afghanistan/story-fndir2ev-1226558737550

RETURNING from a 20-week deployment in Afghanistan, Prince Harry has spoken about his combat experience saying it "take(s) a life to save a life" and he admitted killing fighters who threatened his comrades.
Prince Harry, known in the armed forces as Capt. Wales, had been on deployment in Afghanistan for 20 weeks and gave unprecedented sanctioned access to a film crew to record his second tour of duty. The release coincided with his return to Britain.
In an extraordinary wide-ranging series of interviews released by the palace, the prince has also spoken at length about killing Taliban insurgents, being single, hopes the public like him and his joy at hearing about soon becoming an uncle.
He has also broken his silence on that naked romp in Las Vegas last year saying he let his family down in a lapse that was "too much army and not enough prince".
Despite revealing his distrust and in some instances anger at the media, the lengthy interview was candid and relaxed and covered every topic that has kept the tabloids in the UK busy.
Among those topics was his naked romp in Vegas in a $7000/night suite where he played strip billiards with equally naked girls, all captured on a mobile phone camera.
"At the end of the day I probably let myself down, I let my family down, I let other people down," Prince Harry said during the interview at Camp Bastion.
"But at the end of the day I was in a private area and there should be a certain amount of privacy that one should expect. Back home all my close friends rallied round me and were great."
The 28-year-old said it was a "classic example of me probably being too much army and not enough prince".

How do you say? Thoughts? Smile

FOUND SOUL

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2013 02:46 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
Either everyone hates the Royals, or Wars (fair call ) or I didn't lead a discussion and still may not but, shall try again.

My immediate thoughts were :-

It is sad that there are any Wars to start with. Most that have been in a War, have a lot of scars they carry with them for life, having killed (someone).

Harry appears to take it on the chin. And, continues once home being a "boy" partying and not caring.. How can a (person) do that? Is it healthy even, IDK, probably better than carrying around scars the rest of your life.

Taliban are known to retaliate. Much like the people involved in the Bali Bombing, I feel that Prince Harry buy openly stating Internationally on TV that he has killed men (Taliban) men that he has put the entire Royal Family at risk as surely they will retaliate from his words spoken.

Does anyone feel the same or have a different view point.

roger

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2013 03:34 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
I have often felt is was begging for trouble to put Royals and close relatives of heads of state in a position where they might be captured and held for political ransom. I know the tradition goes way back, but not in the national interest.

Anyhow, I do agree that it would have been wiser to neither confirm nor deny specifics of military activity.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2013 12:23 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
I don't think the Royal Family are any more of a target now than they were before. The main criticism he's received over here is for likening killing Taliban to a video game. If he's put anyone at greater risk than before it's those still serving in Afghanistan. I don't know how much greater it could get though.
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2013 02:56 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
I agree Roger , like everything in life we have to change "laws" or "rules" .

I just read where he was critisized for drinking and partying "naked" to which his response was, "I was about to leave to go to Afghanistan," suggesting that he understood, he may or may not return, so why not live it up..

When I thought about that, I thought fair enough too.

Quote:
The main criticism he's received over here is for likening killing Taliban to a video game.

Maybe he sub-consciously sees it that way. Not many people can cope knowing as I said that they have "killed" a person or more than one... Maybe it's his way out? Mentally.... coping.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2013 05:24 pm
He doesn't want to be taken as a twit.

I've no idea if the talaban give a hoot.
Ordinary combat is trouble enough, and he went for it.

I'm not a fan of that war, but I don't isolate Harry in any particular way. And I'm not sure I get this sort of idea that he'll be a martyr target evermore, for just being a soldier. Maybe, but as Izzie said, essentially, he has lived his life as a target.
0 Replies