PRINTEMPS, PRIMAVERA, SPRING, ETC. . . .

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 04:33 am
Only a very slight exaggeration, Piffka. Now, this is NO exaggeration -- nobody plants tomatoes before Memorial Day and even then it's no safe bet that there won't be a frost some night. Daffs, crocuses? Might come out around mid-April.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 07:34 am
Waving enthusiastically at MarleyFrances1,000,000,000,000 . . .

Well, it got cold overnight, and we've gotten about 3 inches of snow. I hope the little birdies are o.k. . . .
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 07:46 am
Spring rocks! Here in southern Germany, the snow has molten a week ago, the sun has been shining since then, and temperatures are right in my comfort zone -- upper 50s, lower 60s.

The grass is still yellow-brownish, but you can already see crocusses, spring snowflakes, and snowdrops bursting through the surface on every street corner. In just a few more days they will bloom, and in just a few weeks it'll be time for the lilies of the valley -- my personal favorite. Niiiiiiice! Very Happy
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 07:56 am
Marley Frances? Where? Shocked
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 08:40 am
Well, Spring has sprung in central Florida. We had our first thunderstorm of the season. It is raining like cats and dogs.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 08:55 am
Spring blew in like the stereotypical lion on March 1st in North GA. It had snowed the week before but the first day of March the wind blew hard all day and the temp went up. The Bradford Pear trees are in full bloom and other trees are budding, the grass is greener.....ah, sprintime is here! Very Happy

Was at Amelia Island over the weekend, the air was chilly and definitely not beach weather.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 10:00 am
I noticed this morning that my rose-pink camellia, which has been covered in buds for weeks, has five fully-fledged flowers on it. http://www.descanso.com/images/camellia-4.jpegAhhhh, life is good.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 11:23 am
Well, here (central Ohio), if it were just a few degrees warmer, it would be raining rather than snowing. The streets and roads are filling with slush. This of course means sheets of ice tomorrow morning, with more motorist idiocy. It takes 15 minutes or less for me to drive across town to work, but today i gave myself 30 minutes. It still required an hour to get here. Ohio drivers suck.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 11:30 am
MarleyFrances! Billions and Billions! <waves madly to the east>

they're forecasting 35 - 50 cm of snow for the area just west of here (like commuting distance, dude). Thirty centimetres is a nice solid foot of snow!
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 11:39 am
Tree pollen was at record levels last week here. Must be spring! (Almost summer.)

Highs in the 70s, lows in the 50s mostly. It is lovely while it lasts. It'll be 90 soon enough.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 11:43 am
Snowing here in the Poconos--an inch an hour.

We are not amused.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 06:13 pm
Snowing here right now just as hard as it did back in December. We're getting a real Nor'easter and no mistake. Did you get that whole 30 cm in Tranna, e-Beth? We're due for close on that.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 06:47 pm
We're only (?) looking at about 10 - 15 cm for my side of town. They've already got over 20 cm on the west side of the Golden Horseshoe. Confused
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 07:05 pm
Thx for the quick reply. When this is over I'll report to you all (but in inches, not centimeters [centimetres]).
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 07:07 pm
Today, I think we got the better deal... it was mild with a high of 53F, no rain, mostly cloudy with sun-breaks. I drove to a garden about an hour north of here for a lecture and noticed that SOME camellia bushes are totally covered with blooms. Apparently MINE is a late-bloomer.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 07:33 pm
for the cm/inch challenged - a useful bit of trivia - a dollar bill (or any denomination in Canada) is almost exactly 6 inches, which is almost exactly 15 cm. I learned that in home economics over 30 years ago - and it's been one of the most useful things I ever learned in school (or university).
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 07:46 pm
I just put a ruler to a US$ 5 bill (Didn't have any singles handy). According to this research, you're half-right, ehBeth (assuming that Canadian money is virtually identical, sizewise, with US currency, which I know to be a fact). Six inches = 15.5 cm.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 08:03 pm
(close enough for measuring fabric - which was the original purpose of that lesson - i was in junior high just as Canada was doing the conversion to metric measurement - most of us had Yardsticks - not convertible measuring tapes - soooooo, pull out that dollar bill when checking fabric width in the store)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 11:27 am
The little birdies are singing again, if not so loudly and gayly as the other day. I am gratified to think that they survived, and i hope that they will flourish. (Even if they are nasty, dirty little parasite-ridden winged lizards.)
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 04:55 pm
A Spring snowstorm isn't gonna wipe out any winged wonders what arrived too early, Set. They flock together and use body heat to keep each other warm. As long as they have enough to eat, they'll be okay. Birds freeze to death in the Winter because food is scarce. They need the extra calories to keep up their body heat. That's why bird-feeders are so important in Winter.

For ehBeth and others of the British Commonwealth persuasion -- Boston got around 15 - 16 cm of snow, may be more in the offing. (For all my fellow Yanks, that's six to seven inches.)
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 12:49:21