Baffled a2k person asks simple flashlight battery question

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2013 04:33 pm
My 6v lantern flashlight has had a defunct battery for a while, and I've been meaning to spring for a new one.

Today I purchased a new battery and connected the neg to the neg. Nothin' happens.

So... does this mean I need a whole new flashlight, that the light itself is out? - I figure it probably does and I need another trip to the store, but I might just be being stupid.

I still have the old battery as the store doesn't take them for disposal.

so - I should return the new battery and pitch the old flashlight?

Meantime, the store won't dispose of my small defunct lithium camera batteries. Aaagh.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,860 • Replies: 9
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 04:15 pm
@ossobuco,
So no one knows if the bulbs in the casing themselves tend to become defunct before a 6v battery?
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 06:01 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
My 6v lantern flashlight has had a defunct battery for a while, and I've been meaning to spring for a new one.
Presume you mean battery not flashlight

Quote:
Today I purchased a new battery and connected the neg to the neg. Nothin' happens.
I'm somewhat confused here. The battery has both positive and negative terminals, each mating with a corresponding terminal in the battery compartment of the lantern

Quote:
So... does this mean I need a whole new flashlight, that the light itself is out?
Assuming the new battery is ok, the most likely problem is a burnt-out bulb

Quote:
- I figure it probably does and I need another trip to the store, but I might just be being stupid.
Not at all

Quote:
I still have the old battery as the store doesn't take them for disposal.
That might prove fortunate thing since it might prove to be still good

Quote:
so - I should return the new battery and pitch the old flashlight?
Possibly the firm from which you bought the battery has means for testing one or might have someone who can examine your lantern

Quote:
Meantime, the store won't dispose of my small defunct lithium camera batteries. Aaagh.
I feel much the same way about disposables, they really pile up don't they. We stow all such stuff in the garage with plans to eventually drive it to a local disposal facility

I am wondering whether you're situated in the US
ossobuco

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2013 06:53 pm
@dalehileman,
Yes, I'm in the u.s.

1) the flashlight didn't work one day
2) so I figured it was the battery since a lot of time had gone by since I got the flashlight. I think I had replaced the battery once before, but I am not sure.
3) this sized battery is not cheap (the size for a "lantern" flashlight)
4) I finally went to Home Depot and bought a new lantern battery.
5) that did not make the lantern (casing plus a bulb) light up.
6) I did know how to connect the battery - just like the old battery was, besides putting the connection in the right place.
7) I still have both batteries and flashlight casing with the bulb, plus receipt.
8) it is my guess that it is the bulb that is gone.
9) to get a lantern light that works, I may have to purchase a new one, which probably (not sure) has another big new battery in it.
10) Then I will return my purchased new battery and get a different flashlight.
11) I happen to like maglites, but had liked the lantern light - I'm night blind and it throws a pretty good light.

In asking the question, I was just wondering if the bulbs in these kind of flashlights tend to go out over time.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2013 07:13 pm
@ossobuco,
Thank you for the clarification but my response stands pretty well. Still for item 6 it's surprising that you should find it difficult to insert the new battery correctly

Also the last remark is puzzling since most everyone is aware that bulbs of that sort often burn out

No offense but perhaps you're ESL and I'm misunderstanding you
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2013 11:10 am
@ossobuco,
The answer is yes - bulbs can and do go bad. Generally, they're just the smaller siblings of the incandescent lamp bulbs and go bad just about as often. It's the filament that goes.

Also, if the batteries have been in the lantern for too many years, they could have corroded or leaked out on the terminals.

In hardware stores or Radio Shacks you used to be able to buy replacements. I'm not sure about now as it's been 2 decades since I last bought one. FWIW, I have smaller maglites in 2 different sizes.

Sometimes you can go into a Radio Shack or let's say Home Depot/hardware store with the lantern and they'll take a multimeter to the lantern and see if the bulb and the connections are good.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2013 11:33 am
@Ragman,
Thanks, that helps - I'm going to do that soon, maybe today, a chore day.
Between my 1x/month Walmart visit (gaaaaah, I don't like it in the first place and it takes me a long time to work my way through it) and Walgreen's and Home Depot I might poop out.

I do have a big maglite and love it, but I remember it as pricey when I bought it. It takes 4 d batteries and is about 15" long, to me a great sturdy flashlight. I really need two serious flashlights though, and being a penny pincher am trying to work with what I have.
Will report.

A new bulb seems the best answer if that is what is going on, and if I can get one.
Ragman

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2013 11:56 am
@ossobuco,
I know you're situation with tight budget, of course. The lantern can be a life saver and trouble saver under certain conditions - especially with vision issues.

Mercy, I just thought of your having Katy. You defintely need access to a working one.

I wish I could help more but I think you should be just fine with what I advised. The new bulb is most likely the culprit - I'd guess about a 90% chance (assuming no corrosion on the connections).

There's about a 1% chance there's a new D cell battery that can be bad - rare is it is, it can happen.

Often times in Home Depot or particularly in Radio Shack (if the clerk has minimal knowledge), they're willing if not busy to use a meter and/or change to a new bulb. The bulbs are cheap enough. That'll give you another few more years before any trouble might happen again. Good luck.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2013 12:09 pm
@Ragman,
I don't see any corrosion..

well, off I go. If I don't get to home depot today, I will tomorrow. In Los Angeles, HD was apt to be at least moderately busy a lot of the time, but a few weeks ago when I went there here in the land of now cold sand, it was nearly absent customers, the plant sections, in and outdoors, desolate moonscapes, but so was the rest of the store. I bring this up because otherwise I'd avoid going on a Saturday or Sunday.
roger

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2013 01:54 pm
@ossobuco,
If shopping WalMart, try to go on super bowl Sunday, during the game. It will be like you own the store.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Baffled a2k person asks simple flashlight battery question
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 06:54:21