How was Stonehedge built?

Mewash

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 12:27 pm
Hallo, I've been asked by my friend to check his theory about how Stonehenge was built. He thinks that they transported the stones by a system of water gates on the river Avon and by an artificial lake made by a dam. I doubt that this was possible as it has been built on a small hill in a flat area so there is no visible way to flood the area and keep the water in place. However, I wonder if there is any evidence that would support his theory?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 12 • Views: 2,357 • Replies: 20

Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 12:39 pm
@Mewash,
Your friend might be referring to the blue stones which were a part of the structure, and which came from what is today Wales.

Here's a news item on the stones which were brought from 160 miles away

The rest of the stones were quarried locally. The river Avon does not lead to any stone quarries which were used in the construction of the monument.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 12:53 pm
@Mewash,
Me I am wondering like so many OP's hereabout why you hadn't first tried Googling (atrocious pun unintended)

I am advised however, and was appalled to learn, that probably for political reasons many don't have access to it; so hoping you'll respond. Also without revealing anything critical to your ID; age, sex, nationality, ed., work, motives, etc
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 01:01 pm
@Mewash,
That's now how it was built, it's how they got the stones there. If you visit Henge they sell posters telling how it was made. It's not a secret.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 01:11 pm
@izzythepush,
Actually either space aliens or the wizard Merlin built it. Or (what I believe!) VisitWiltshire.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 01:14 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
It used to be so much more before the Thatch ruined things.

http://stonehengenews.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/free-festival.gif
farmerman

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 02:13 pm
@izzythepush,
I always wondered about how they knocked those little round tenons.
Aliens hadda have a hand in that you betcha.

As far as "how"

1It was definately a guy thing

2It happened shortly after they invented beer ( I think they started making a pretzel oven and Og thought that"Hey wouuldnt this be neat if we...")

3Thats about all I can think of at this point
George

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 02:27 pm
I love it that the title refers to "STONEHEDGE".

http://www.stone-hedge.com/shhedge640.jpg
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 03:02 pm
FM is partially right . . . aliens had a hand in it, but they just came from France, not outer space . . .
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 03:06 pm
@farmerman,
It took a very long time overall, the first henge was wood, then they added the stones later, but not all at once. It was a very long drawn out affair.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2013 02:17 pm
AS I understand it, it was built by union labour ("labour", not "labor", because it was built in England), it came in on time, and well under budget. At the official opening, the ribbon was cut with a bronze sword, and the mead that was served at the after-party was really superb. Hundreds of drunks threw up on the stones and passed out in the circle. They had to carry them out in wheelbarrows so they could hold the rites the next sunrise.
roger

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2013 06:33 pm
@MontereyJack,
If it was union labor no wonder they never finished it. Blokes went on strik after Tea.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2013 06:43 pm
@roger,
Honey, I'll post you down. Father with the film editors.
roger

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2013 07:00 pm
@ossobuco,
But. . . but I don't think they had film editors when Stonehedge was built. Hey, that wouldn't stop a good union, would it? Kind of the ultimate feather bedding.

Sorry, osso. Just pulling your leg. I didn't know it would come off in my hand.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2013 11:07 am
@roger,
Most of the workers in the construction industry in the UK are self-employed. They are taken on as contractors/sub-contractors, there's very little Union membership as a result.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2013 11:14 am
@izzythepush,
But they've been formerly full-time employees - as self-employed subcontractors for the contractors these avoid paying benefits and tax.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2013 12:10 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Oh it's a massive con alright, the construction industry gets away with a lot.
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2013 05:42 pm
@izzythepush,
This is the way I seen it done mate...I agree with you mate...Whatever way it was done was a long process...That took a long time...

The video I had seen on tv showed how he placed the blocks on top as well...As well as how he thought they got there...

But this is just a condensed video...But same guy...same technique...

izzythepush

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2013 02:34 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Lord McAlpine's firm ran a blacklist basically barring people from work for raising health and safety issues. His successor was grilled about it just yesterday.

Quote:
Workers allege that TCA, funded by around 20 major names in the construction industry, ran a database of names for the industry for more than 30 years. It was seized more than three years ago, but the extraordinary nature of the information held only fully emerged following an employment tribunal against a different construction firm last year for one of the victims, Dave Smith, 46, an engineer who had a 36-page file against his name and was victimised for highlighting safety hazards on sites.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2013/jan/12/mcalpine-blacklist-court-claim
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2013 02:36 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Thanks, I'll watch it later. Henge is just 20 odd miles down the road from me, I was just repeating what you hear on the headphones when you walk around the site, and what they put in the posters and guidebooks.

1. Forums
  2. » How was Stonehedge built?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 07:58:05