Speculative fiction

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2013 06:04 pm
@boomerang,
One could argue that all fiction is speculative, but some of the books recommended herein are fiction, not "speculative fiction."

The terms is generally used to describe more subtle versions of sci-fi/fantasy.

The Leftovers by Tom Perrota is, I think, a good example.

It tells the story of a suburban NJ family after a large segment of the world's population has simply disappeared.

There are quite a few sub-genres of recognized genres.

In finding books your son might like try searching on Google for

Alternate History
Post-Apocalyptic Novels ( This is a growing sub-genre)

The Passage by Justin Cronin not only is post-apocalyptic but it involves vampires (victims of a bio-engineered virus that is). For what it is worth, the book received great reviews. Warning: It has graphic violence and is scary, but that may be just what your son craves.

There is a relatively new sub-sub genre: Steampunk. This usually involves Alternate History.

The Strange Affair of Spring-heeled Jack by Mark Hodder is a good example, although some will find it too much like a comic book.

A fine piece of speculative fiction with a silly sounding name is Mr. Shivers by Robert Jackson Bennett. Not written for kids, but a kid could enjoy it on its basic level, if they appreciate and can handle dark tales.

Finally, The Skin Map by Stephen Lawhead may be the best example that is most appropriate (despite the name) for a kid.

There are loads more if you are interested.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2013 07:18 pm
One could argue that all fiction is speculative, but some of the books recommended herein are fiction, not "speculative fiction."

The terms is generally used to describe more subtle versions of sci-fi/fantasy.

The Leftovers by Tom Perrota is, I think, a good example.

It tells the story of a suburban NJ family after a large segment of the world's population has simply disappeared.

There are quite a few sub-genres of recognized genres.

In finding books your son might like try searching on Google for

Alternate History
Post-Apocalyptic Novels ( This is a growing sub-genre)

The Passage by Justin Cronin not only is post-apocalyptic but it involves vampires (victims of a bio-engineered virus that is). For what it is worth, the book received great reviews. Warning: It has graphic violence and is scary, but that may be just what your son craves.

There is a relatively new sub-sub genre: Steampunk. This usually involves Alternate History.

The Strange Affair of Spring-heeled Jack by Mark Hodder is a good example, although some will find it too much like a comic book.

A fine piece of speculative fiction with a silly sounding name is Mr. Shivers by Robert Jackson Bennett. Not written for kids, but a kid could enjoy it on its basic level, if they appreciate and can handle dark tales.

Finally, The Skin Map by Stephen Lawhead may be the best example that is most appropriate (despite the name) for a kid.

There are loads more if you are interested.

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2013 07:31 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

That topic -- a post-apocalyptic world inhabited by vampires -- was richly explored by Richard Matthieson in I am Legend, more than 30 years ago. At the time it was published people said it could never be made into a movie because of explicit nudity; this was before the current R-rating system came into effect. It's now been filmed twice.
Setanta

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2013 07:52 pm
Is there an echo in here?
DrewDad

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2013 08:31 pm
@Setanta,
there an echo in here?
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2013 08:49 pm
@DrewDad,
an echo in here?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2013 09:36 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
wikipedia
I Am Legend is a 2007 American post-apocalyptic science fiction horror film directed by Francis Lawrence and starring Will Smith. It is the third feature film adaptation of Richard Matheson's 1954 novel of the same name, following 1964's The Last Man on Earth and 1971's The Omega Man.[2
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2013 09:44 pm
@edgarblythe,
OK, so it's been adapted three times, not twice as I thought. Thanx, edgar. My point was that the theme of a post-Apocalyptic world with a host of vampires as a main theme is hardly original.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2013 09:47 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I know. Most people overlook the Vincent Price version.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 05:25 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
The Mattheison novel doesn't hold a candle to the Cronin work.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 05:27 pm
@Setanta,
Ask the hamster
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2013 05:47 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Haven't read the Cronin but was quite impressed with the Mattheson when I first read it back in the Neolithic age. But, then, Mattheison at his best was always one of my favorite horror/fantasy writers. Steven Spielberg apparently thought so, too, basing the script of one of his very first films, The Duel, starring Dennis Hopper (of all people), on a Matthieson short story which first appeared in Playboy.
0 Replies