What the hell is meditation

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2013 12:01 pm
In another thread JL states,
Quote:
In meditation one examines the living experience in the most innocent way possible, without categorization, and evaluataive thought.

Its meaning seems to have shifted like so many words. For instance when I was a kid "gay" meant happy; while "meditate" meant to deeply think about something, maybe not even innocently

JL uses the term "evaluative" tho in recent years I've heard it described as not thinking at all, at least not consciously

….leading one incidentally to wonder how or whether it's superior in any way to a short nap

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2013 01:29 pm
@dalehileman,
With all due respect, dale, I don't think you're fully in touch with the inner dale.

Many (most?) people don't quite understand the difference between meditation and calm, deep thought. The difference is simply this: in meditation you should try your hardest to make your mind a total blank. Try to not think at all. See, the problem with thinking is that we homo sapiens tend to articulate our thoughts in our minds; in other words, we think in words, phrases and sentences. The moment you articulate a perceived truth, you lose it. It's gone. The deepest truths cannot be articulated; they have to be perceived through another avenue, the avenue of meditation.

Try it sometime.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2013 01:52 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
…..I don't think you're fully in touch with the inner dale.
Probably not

Quote:
…... difference between meditation and calm, deep thought. …...in meditation…...mind a total blank.
Thanks Andy but I quite understand this the current meaning. I was merely remarking how it had so drastically changed

Quote:
Try to not think at all.
Yes I understand that's the object, much as one attempts when drowsing off. But as I said, we might wonder why sleep might not accomplish the same objective

….while that's possibly why sleeplessness contributes to anxiety

Quote:
See, the problem with thinking is…...words, phrases and sentences…….a perceived truth, you lose it……. The deepest truths cannot be articulated; they have to be perceived through…...meditation.
An interesting sidelight pertains to subconscious processing of emotion. Intellectual comments cannot adequately address conditions subliminal and that's why reading doesn't help a lot

Quote:
Try it [meditation] sometime.
I've done so but suppose I'm just too impatient like so many of us
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2013 01:56 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
Thanks Andy but I quite understand this the current meaning. I was merely remarking how it had so drastically changed

The meaning has not changed at all. The "current meaning" was always the true meaning of the word. I remember learning that before I turned 21 and I'm only a very few years younger than you. Point is, we used to misuse the word in everyday conversation, saying things like, "I will meditate upon that" when what we meant was "I'll think about it."
dalehileman

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2013 02:06 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
No, sorry, Andy, I can't agree. As late as 1954, Webster's New Collegiate

contemplate, ponder…..intend, plan….dwell in thought; to muse; reflect; cogitate…….close or continued thought…..deep continued reflection on some religious theme…discourse treating a theme meditatively
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What the hell is meditation
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 2.88 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 12:40:48