Popups Won't Go Away

wolfman

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 03:43 pm
Have google tool bar installed to block pops in addition to Ad-aware and spybot. Google blocks some but hundreds still come thru. Spybot and ad-aware say everything is fine but obviously it is not. Been told there is probably a program running somewhere allowing the popups to come through. It seems as though they all have Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by AOL in the header. Red Nova, E-Bay, Exit Exchange, and Block Pop-Ups are some of the more common ones. I am not a techie, any ideas anyone! I am ready for the insane asylum!!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,286 • Replies: 6
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 03:51 pm
First, are SpyBot and AdAware fully current, latest versions? That's important. Next, in SpyBot, do you have it set to "Immunize"? Just fishing for ideas here, but we might be able to sort this out for you. Also, was AOL ever your internet provider?

BTW ... I'm gonna move this thread from Forum Help over to Internet, which is a better location for it, since this isn't specifically an A2K issue. No problem, no biggie, its just this topic likely will get better attention over there.
0 Replies

wolfman

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 03:56 pm
Spybot and adAware are fully current. Spybot is set to immunize and AOL was at one time my current ISP. Thanks.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 04:07 pm
Well then, it sounds like you've still got AOL clutter on your machine. You might wanna check Add and Remove programs to see if your version of IE is an AOL-branded version. If it is, I'd recommend removing it, and downloading IE6 from Microsoft. Be forewarned, its a humongous download.

You can download it for free Here, or order it on CD HERE. The CD's free, but there's like a $5.00 shipping charge, I think. Anyhow, what you've gotta do is purge your system of AOL junk. That's step one.
0 Replies

wolfman

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 04:15 pm
I checked my add/remove programs and is does not indicate version of IE or if it AOL branded. I am running windows 2000. Do you still recommend removing IE and installing 6.0. Also, should I remove the AOL programs. Thanks!!!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 06:01 pm
I'd get rid of anything that even smelled like AOL ... right down to wading into the registry and burning it out one key at a time. I don't recommend you try that, but go ahead and remove anything else AOL that you can get at relatively easily. Then, download IE6 ... it'll be separate from the IE5 you already have, or should be, anyway. Once you've done that, and gotten it installed, as long as its fully separate ... its own program in Add/Remove, dump IE5 BEFORE you do any browsing or anything with IE6. That's what I'd try, anyway. Just remember ... free advice is often worth what you paid for it :wink:
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 11:28 pm
Never used AOL so I don't have any experience with how deeply entrenched it might be in your system, but changing the IE title is easy.

I'm running Windows 2000 so I'll give instructions for the same: Start --> Run --> type: gpedit.msc --> in the window that opens, go to: User Configuration > Windows Settings > Internet Explorer Maintenance > Browser User Interface > Browser Title.

From there you can can either turn off the custom title, or change the text that comes after "Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by" to any 30-character-or-so string you want. For instance, Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by the Fury of Professor Wolfman fits quite nicely. Wink

And if Spybot & Ad-Aware didn't remove whatever adware you've got on your system, download HijackThis and post the log file in generates here & we can take a look at it.
0 Replies