Webmaster failure! Why can't restaurants and hotels have good websites?

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2013 07:09 am
I was filling out a contest question for the weekly magazine Time Out NY http://www.timeout.com/newyork/promotions/getthis while looking for the answer to how many rooms the Trump TajMahal which is the qualification to qualify for one of this week's prizes, I stumbled onto this page holding two allegedly real guest reviews:
Real Guest Reviews
Quote:
Great service!

Great service! test content Great service! test content Great service! test content Great service! test content Great service! test content Great service! test content Great service! test content Great service! test content Great service! test content

Quote:
Beautiful Hotel!

Beautiful Hotel! Test Content Beautiful Hotel! Test Content Beautiful Hotel! Test Content Beautiful Hotel! Test Content Beautiful Hotel! Test Content Beautiful Hotel! Test Content Beautiful Hotel! Test Content Beautiful Hotel! Test Content Beautiful Hotel! Test Content Beautiful Hotel! Test Content Beautiful Hotel! Test Content

http://www.trumptaj.com/reviews-en.html

Many restaurant websites are appear to be formatted as if they were created in 1995. Many selfpublished online menus are out of date.

And at the TrumpTaj Mahal site, I also found a dead link to a Page Not Found off of the Learn More link to learning about their rooms and suites.
Are hospitality managers and marketing people THAT STUPID or OBLIVIOUS? Why can't they update their content? And remove these fake reviews or better yet actually bribe their cousins to put up quasifake reviews?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,115 • Replies: 3
No top replies

jespah

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2013 08:28 am
As a part of my employment, I look up hundreds (no exaggeration) of education websites - colleges, universities, trade schools and high schools. Day in, day out; tons of 'em. And I have found many, many problems.

• No "Contact Us" page, form or email address, or it only has phone numbers (or, worse, just snail mail addresses). We are online - post a dang email address!
  • Search is through Google but is not set up properly, so results are not just confined to the domain.
  • Nebulous/misleading headers or tabs with names that aren't terribly descriptive (e. g. "Alumni" or "Services"). Hence I end up using search a lot of the time.
  • Dead links.
  • Dead email addresses.
  • Ugly flash animation.
  • It's a hunt to find where a school is actually located (I've had to sometimes resort to Google to find an address).
  • Blogs that are not updated.
  • Weird images (and they have to load, of course), usually of smiling students which were likely added in order to prettify the site but instead just clog it up and can rapidly be outdated.
  • No way to contact the webmaster in order to report website problems.

Gaahhh.

PS Lots of people have no freakin' clue as to how to update a website. I swear, this could be work, and it's mostly easy, too.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2013 09:08 am
@jespah,
Contact US (on any site, commercial or otherwise) and physical addresses for a lot of real world stores/places shouldn't be hidden behind two or more links away from the homepage.

I love sites that constantly move their contact links around so if they were on one page one day, then the direct link will be on another page the next day or week.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2013 09:57 am
@jespah,
Problem is that the function of a website is marketing, but people think it should be part of IT. It becomes the lost child, because the "webmaster" job just kinda sucks.

One bank I work at regularly checks every single link on their website. (It's a small website.) About every three months or so, we have to fix a link to an external entity.
0 Replies