Getting rid of Toptext .... help a stranger?

ehBeth

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 08:31 pm
At another site I go to (well actually, where mrs. sealpoet and i go), one of the members has run into problems with something that attached itself to her system. Toptext. I was trying to help sort it out (o.k, i'm not a tech wizard, but it's a cooking site, so i'm sorta helpful there).

I was able to help her to i.d. the problem, but she can't get rid of it. I've done some searching but other than simply saying "uninstall it", I'm no use. Any suggestions? (i was kinda thinkin' since mrs. sealpoet pitched in with someone's gardening problem here, i'd see if we could reciprocate)

(i will try to get the original poster to come over if anyone has any questions)

Quote:
The parasite on my compter is called Toptext. I don't understand how to remove it manually, though. (I already tried Ad-Aware, as they suggested, but it didn't work, so I would have to remove it manually). Can you make sense of this???

PARASITE - TOPTEXT

Description

When installed, TopText will alter all pages viewed in IE, adding extra links to words and phrases targeted by advertisers. These links are unauthorised by the operators of the sites being viewed.

Also known as

iLookup, HotText, ContextPro. eZula, after the company that created it.

Distribution

One of many parasites included in the file-sharing programs KaZaA and iMesh. Also an optional install on many other free applications, eg. GoZilla.

Around March 2003, installed by the FavoriteMan parasite.

What it does

Advertising

Yes. TopText's characteristic ugly orange-yellow links lead to advertisers' sites.

Privacy violation

Unconfirmed. TopText keeps in contact with a third party server but it is not known what information is exchanged.

Security issues

Yes. TopText has an update feature which the licence states may be used to install third-party software. It also includes a downloader/installer which can be triggered by web pages to redownload TopText.

Stability problems

Unconfirmed. Some reports of crashes/reboots.

Removal

Ad-Aware can remove eZula TopText.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,681 • Replies: 4
No top replies

colorbook

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 09:22 pm
I am not familiar with Toptext.

I use this software on a regular basis; I hope this may help:

Spybot Search and Destroy Freeware
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 11:03 pm
http://search.able2know.com/About/9835.html
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 05:49 am
Thanks so much, craven. I will forward that on. I did a search here - I didn't realize that I needed a separate search in the portal. I'll keep that in mind. I really appreciate the help - I'm sure Meryl will as well.

I've asked her to let me/us know how those instructions work. She's had more problems with her system overnight, so I'm sure she'll be keen to try this. I do note that those directions are different from the removal info I found on some other sites, when I was poking around.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 12:42 pm
It wasn't there till you asked so a search wouldn't hav found it. Lemme know if she has questions.
0 Replies