Shakespeare's greatest tragedy?

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 01:56 pm
It's so difficult to choose. For me, when it came to tragedy, Shakespeare rarely did wrong. From the first play of his that I read-- The Tempest, which I entreated my mother to buy for me when I was ten-- I was hooked.

The first three tragedies that I came across-- Romeo and Juliet, Macbeth, and Othello-- ironically don't figure in the top of my estimations. For me, his greatest tragedy would either be Hamlet or King Lear: Hamlet for what it says; King Lear for what it doesn't need to say. King Lear manages to get the greatest passion into one word, five times repeated; both are mindblowing. What would you choose?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,082 • Replies: 7
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 02:13 pm
King Lear, without question. Hamlet bothered me as the Rosencrantz and Guildenstern/Hamlet miraculously is not killed side story seemed a bit of a hackneyed literary device, but that's just a matter of opinion. It has always been Lear for me.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 04:07 pm
I have a soft spot in my head for Titus Andronicus. Such pain, such sorrow, such vengeance!
0 Replies

Mile-O-Phile

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 09:43 am
My favourite, no matter what, is MacBeth.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 07:43 pm
I love them all, but I think King Lear is best.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 07:47 pm
Shakespeare's greatest tragedy?

That damned movie they made about him, Snakeshit in Love . . . puh-leeze . . .
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 02:33 pm
Hey, Set. You'd better brush up your Shakespeare.

As for me, give me Richard three or give me Julius C.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 02:39 pm
I never really liked Julius Ceasar. I don't know why, but I just can't get into it. I do like Timon of Athens and Troilus and Cressida, even though they are considered to be marginal plays.
0 Replies