OK, When Was the Last Time You Ironed ?

mismi

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 02:41 pm
@ossobuco,
Smile

I like the rumpled look. I often sport it myself.

It does take a certain kind of person to carry it off with aplomb though. Wink

I have always said there are 3 types of people: People who have been washed and dried and folded right out of the dryer, those who look like they are always starched and ironed and then there are those that look like they have been in their wash basket with a pile of books stacked on top of it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 02:48 pm
@mismi,
mis, we're opposites! (I can't smell, mostly).

I have vague memories of liking ironing, with, of course, the ironing board up in the back room at all times. A silk scarf, for example.
And I would iron back in the days when I was a mad sewing woman; then it was a tool in the sewing process.
roger

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 03:37 pm
@mismi,
Did you catch my note about applying heavy starch and letting it disperse overnight in the refrigerator? If you don't, a really heavy application forms a sort of surface crust.

If you send sheets to a commercial laundry, they are neither ironed nor pressed. They are mangled. Really. They run them through a pair of hot rollers somewhat like the wringer on an old style washing machine. The device is called a mangle, for reasons unknown to me.
mismi

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 03:54 pm
@ossobuco,
How can you be such a foodie and not smell Osso? Wink
Smile I am actually a mix of things...mostly just pulled from the dryer. The boys though - all 4 of them wear 100% cotton stuff and I fail to get it out of the dryer on time...mainly because my dryer is in the basement and I forget that I have put them in. I would love to have the washer and dryer in my kitchen - but that aint't going to happen any time soon. phth. So iron I must.
mismi

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 03:56 pm
@roger,
I have never heard of that before Roger...and I do get a little starch crust every once in a while...how does one find room in the refrigerator for that though. I have 4 boys that eat a lot. And it ain't such a big fridge. Wink

Mangled sheets. Sounds lovely.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 04:03 pm
@roger,
My aunt had one of those.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 04:16 pm
@mismi,
That's a good question. I've had it tested by an expert on all that at UCIrvine.
They probably threw out my test, in that there was no space for I don't know but I smell something. Let's say there were 80 vials to smell. I smelled nothing on, say, seventy two, and something on the remaining eight, of which I probably got two correct.

Since there was no choice for I don't smell it or I do and don't know, on those questions, I just put the first choice, and announced that on the test.

I sure hope they've fixed that questionaire. That was back in the eighties.

It was a hopeless episode for me except that I liked the doc intern who did the testing of me - she was from China, had lived near Tiannamin square, however you spell that. I liked her, but what she made of me, I don't know. I kept saying no.

Myself, I figure I can smell a bit sometimes. Ginger, for example. My father didn't smell at all, he said, so I figure it as another hereditary thing.

I definitely can taste and love food, but I'll posit my interest in spices is reactive to either an early life in blandville or a need to pump up my taste buds.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 04:40 pm
@mismi,
Label the laundry "Chopped Liver". They'll eat every thing but the clothes.
0 Replies

nextone

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 04:51 pm
@roger,
Stephen King's short story,"The Mangle", is one of my favorites.
0 Replies

nextone

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 05:08 pm
@mismi,
I can appreciate your enjoying the act of ironing, repetitive motion, warmth of cloth, smell of clean cloth, with or without lavender, smoothness to touch,perfection in appearance. Just thinking about this is making me happy.

It couldn't hurt to introduce your boys to the joys of ironing and laundry and other housework. Don't be all selfish; share the fun. Don't know their ages, but there are plenty of things children and teens can do to help.
0 Replies

GenieM

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2016 03:01 am
@nextone,
I love the smell of ironing too.... I iron at least twice a week and sometimes more if need be or if I have someone to iron for.
I've always known there was something sensual and magical about ironing; kind of like a genie coming out of a bottle.
0 Replies