Fixing tires revisited

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2012 07:01 pm
In an earlier thread

http://able2know.org/topic/203373-1

…a matter of the most earth-shaking significance went by the board so I trust your permission to addresses it in this OP

Getting back to wheels, tires and sealants as an erstwhile inventor I am wondering why car wheels can't be made like those on my wagon, that is in sandwich form. Remove the bolts and CLINK it falls apart so you can change or service the tire or tube yourself without special equipment, no longer at the mercy of your Friendly Local Tire Establishment

Of course we'd have to have some sort of membrane between, but that seems entirely feasible

Why not, where does my proposal fizzle

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 702 • Replies: 12
No top replies

nothingtodo

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2012 03:13 pm
@dalehileman,
I have not really understood what you mean by this, I am too tired, but I think there are much better designs for tires already in the world, perhaps hundreds, it is simply that the changes may aswell arrive later perhaps?, its all going hybrid/electric.. I suppose we will see a few changes soon.

Hopefully in the way tire fitters are forced to work on large tires and small ones alike without the use of simple automatic machines for the entire process throughout. The bead breakers in use recently can be vastly improved, to not leave a fitter having to explain tears in the sidewall/contact points as a possible fault of his own.

It often baffled me the same way, that bicycle tires are not mass produced to have the solid core design of varying inflatory values.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2012 04:04 pm
@nothingtodo,
Quote:
I have not really understood what you mean by this,
A wheel in two essentially identical halves held together of course by the usu bolts

Quote:
I am too tired,
Me too, just came home from Costco, exhausting. But nonetheless ever drawn to a2k

Quote:
but I think there are much better designs for tires already in the world,
Perhaps so but of course I was discussing the wheel

Quote:
perhaps hundreds, it is simply that the changes may aswell arrive later perhaps?, its all going hybrid/electric..
I presume you mean so much effort and talent presently diverted to favor such modern developments rather that tires and wheels thus get neglected

Quote:
I suppose we will see a few changes soon.
I guess you'd like to see more attention paid to the basics

Quote:
Hopefully in the way tire fitters are forced to work on large tires and small ones alike without the use of simple automatic machines for the entire process throughout.
It is appalling isn't it, crude. For probably this very reason until just recently our Friendly Local Tire Establishment worked only on auto tires

Quote:
The bead breakers in use recently can be vastly improved, to not leave a fitter having to explain tears in the sidewall/contact points as a possible fault of his own.
Remarkably enough Todo, I have often reflected upon this very potential contingency, which might be eliminated or at least abated by the inauguration of my proposal

Quote:
It often baffled me the same way, that bicycle tires are not mass produced to have the solid core design of varying inflatory values.
While coincidentally I've often wondered about that too though I'm not sure what you mean by "solid" as a filler would most certainly have to be a foam of some kind, maybe would nonetheless make the tire too hard or too heavy
nothingtodo

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2012 07:15 pm
@dalehileman,
"perhaps hundreds, it is simply that the changes may aswell arrive later perhaps?, its all going hybrid/electric..
I presume you mean so much effort and talent presently diverted to favor such modern developments rather that tires and wheels thus get neglected"

Err, no.. I mean they hold off on patent procurement's, I assume, if its all in flow now. Money money money.

Re: the solid tires.... No there are clearly ways these days to create complete compounds which will suit in entirety the whole affair, at assorted pressure virtual simulation. (to me at least, based on scientific capabilities now, it seems). The bicycle is the prime candidate, because if tires wear down by 1cm, it matters not beyond the tread value which can be simulated at micro pattern level throughout.

I had some ideas myself and could make them function, but always I hit that block and it was not worth investing money I did not have, in any of my ideas.

Though not in the tire/wheel field so much, you may be in luck with that for some purpose, on some vehicles, I dont know. I apolagise, downer and a half, just randomly trolling around man.
nothingtodo

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2012 07:34 pm
@dalehileman,
Also, whilst someone might be listening, I have rant about 'no markers' on valves which have functions in them... You can imagine. So I will not bother.

Also, safety would be heavily optimized in the field for tire fitters if adjustable chocks were designed, for use on tractors etc. The wood ones can be somewhat lacking in multiple ways. (its been a while though).

Hell, why not .. I will say it....

Stamp rims on vehicles with torque values! And vehicle type. Trainees end up doing every job and old farts lose their book and their mind.(though not clearly and provably, I just know man)
dalehileman

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 01:00 pm
@nothingtodo,
Quote:
I mean they hold off on patent procurement's
Then you mean the time and effort required to devise and patent more basic improvements might forestall developments in hybrid/electric

Well, I for one dunno. The participant familiar with historical developments in such socio-tech circumstance might feel qualified to comment

Quote:
I had some ideas myself and could make them function, but always I hit that block and it was not worth investing money
By "could" I am wondering whether you actually "did"

In any case as a sometime innovator myself I can understand your reluctance to proceed

Quote:
I apolagise, downer and a half, just randomly trolling around man.
No need Tod to apologize as I've also been called a troll
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 01:09 pm
@nothingtodo,
Quote:
Also, whilst someone might be listening,
Very few I'm afraid

Quote:
I have rant about 'no markers' on valves which have functions in them….
Yes I've also noted how so many products lose their markings so easily. It's enough to let us imagine a conspiracy amongst those mfrs

Quote:
…….if adjustable chocks were designed……..Stamp rims on vehicles with torque values! And vehicle type. Trainees end up doing every job……..
Clearly Tod you are well ahead of me in this area. Do I presume correctly that you've had some experience here

Some of us might also be curious, if at all feasible, about your age, sex, nationality, ed., work, etc
nothingtodo

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 07:35 am
@dalehileman,
No, I mean there are brands of cars with special electronic pressure sensors in them, new trainees do not realise they must know brands that have them. Plus if one only comes in to the workshop floor every few months, it is easy to treat (in fluid daily normalcy) the car the same as the rest.. Not every guy in a tire fitting place cares what car is what, we are not all XR3i fanatics with top gear every night, just because we have a job or career in tires.

Generally speaking a tire fitters knowledge need only extend to rims, batteries, oil and tires. Many do wish to know every new thing, but many go home and try not to remember work, and do not remember 150 different car makes/model plus monthly additions. Cheeky you think? or is it cheeky they do not stamp a couple of letters near the valve?. It is a pain in the proverbial when a new fitter hoys one off and we gotta pay for another... It is not the managers fault if he is busy.

If you get my point, tire fitting is tire fitting, yes we learn about most other car basic functions and the repairs therein, but it is getting electronic now, the shop floors will be full of people who can only change oil at best.
Breaking off a £20 to £50 component is a matter of course on the bead breakers for cars (the other bead breakers I referred to were the wagon and tractor ones).

RE: the age sex etc... Nah, I dislike people, I am here to put some answers in the world, not make friends.

I am told people kind of pull some strange face, that mentioning changes in direct fashion is displeasing, I have learned it is fruitless to ask them why.
dalehileman

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 10:47 am
@nothingtodo,
Tod thank you for that report

Quote:
but it is getting electronic now, the shop floors will be full of people who can only change oil at best.
Pathetic isn't it; how technological progress so specializes us

Quote:
Breaking off a £20 to £50 component is a matter of course on the bead breakers for cars
We're approaching the day when a flat tire means we go buy a new vehicle
nothingtodo

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 03:47 am
@dalehileman,
Heh, I see your sarcasm and raise you a ..

Bah!
dalehileman

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 01:22 pm
@nothingtodo,
Tod I hand't considered it so much sarcastic as realistic

When I was a kid and your radio went on the fritz you'd pull out each tube, test it, then if they were all ok, troubleshoot down to the level of resistor, capacitor, or loose wire. Even a little later, the transistor

…....whereas today we immediately replace the entire assy--even if say, it's a tv set or PC
nothingtodo

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 01:24 pm
@dalehileman,
Oh, right.. I see..

It does not impact me anywhere near that much... I replace single components with everything I built, computers being the majority, vehicles etc being the rest.. Mostly.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 01:30 pm
@nothingtodo,
Quote:
I replace single components
I used to do that too, until just recently when my nephrologist remarked, oh by the way Dale, you have only five years left
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Fixing tires revisited
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 09:19:15