Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 04:51 pm
I have recently began to realize the benefit of having a software solution to all the passwords I use on a daily basis. Because my frugal nature makes me want to spend no money, I have only looked at no cost solutions to this problem. I have used "Roboform" for the last 6 months or so, using the free version. Roboform installed a a toolbar in your browser (Firefox, Explorer, Chrome). The free version of Roboform has a built in limitation of being able to hold only 10 passwords. I also did not opt for the "cloud" version, so I had to install and update the software on every computer I used it on.

Yesterday I discovered "Dashlane," and I love it. I have discontinued the Roboform. Dashlane is also free, and it does not limit you to only 10 passwords. I have opted to sync this across my computers, meaning my passwords are kept in the cloud, but they are securely encrypted (or so I am led to believe), and my "master password" is not known by Dashlane. You can also create "secure" notes in your Dashlane application, which are accessible to you once you log in.

I can customize the length of time my computer must be inactive for Dashlane to log me out. Once I log in, Dashlane will automatically insert my username/email/password as needed to log into various websites (including A2K). You can also provide credit card numbers and other purchasing information, to help fill out forms when buying online -- all kept securely encrypted.

I know LastPass is also an available solution out there, but I've not tried it.

Does anyone else have any experiences with a Password Keeper, good, bad, or ugly? Is there a better one than Dashlane?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 2,566 • Replies: 7
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 06:33 pm
@Ticomaya,
I use many post it notes stuck all over my computors. Kinda defeats the purpose of a password though doesnt it?

Hmmmm, Ill have to think about that, maybe Ill just put up a mnemonic associate word that will REMIND me of the password
roger

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 06:45 pm
I once used Gator. It turned out to have so many security issues that one would be better off using "opensezame" on every site. It didn't bite me, but I ditched it when the word got out, and haven't tried another since.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2013 11:22 pm
@farmerman,
There is a free program call locknote that is similar to notepad but with a built in encrypt engine with AES256

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/locknote.html

You placed all your passwords in locknote and then open it in a window and cut and paste the passwords as needed.

Love that little program.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2013 06:55 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
There is a free program call locknote that is similar to notepad but with a built in encrypt engine with AES256

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/locknote.html

You placed all your passwords in locknote and then open it in a window and cut and paste the passwords as needed.

Love that little program.
That sounds interesting.
Ticomaya

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 07:49 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Or, with Dashlane, it inserts all your passwords, addresses, billing info, as needed. No cut and paste required.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2013 01:37 am
@Ticomaya,
I keep all mine in a spiral notebook.

cost me 69 cents at wally's.

hackers can't touch it...
roger

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2013 02:21 am
@Rockhead,
Same here, but mine cost more.

I'm using a bound address book for addresses and passwords. I just can't help but think someone publishes an electronic password keeper, and has a quiet little tee hee moment when everyone forks over their passwords and account numbers. Probably doesn't happen, but how do you know?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Password Keepers
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 12:50:26