Simon & Garfunkel's Bridge Over Troubled Waters - Meaning of

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 05:03 pm
I was wondering if anyone knows the exact meaning of the song Bridge over troubled waters. I was told that it was an icon for the drug culture, but there are no drug references in the lyrics. To me it represents one giving comfort to someone who was going through bad times. If anyone knows the exact meaning or of a web site that may define this, then please let me know. Thanks [email protected]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 35,126 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 05:57 pm
Quote:
When you're weary
Feeling small
When tears are in your eyes
I will dry them all

I'm on your side

When times get rough
And friends just can't be found
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down
I will lay me down

When you're down and out
When you're on the street
When evening falls so hard
I will comfort you

I'll take your part
When darkness comes
And pain is all around
I will lay me down
I will lay me down

Sail on Silver Girl,
Sail on by
Your time has come to shine
All your dreams are on their way

See how they shine
If you need a friend
I'm sailing right behind
I will ease your mind
I will ease your mind

If you think of the "Bridge" as a drug, the words become more meaningful.

In these phrases, the words are more explicit:

Quote:
Sail on Silver Girl,
Sail on by
Your time has come to shine
All your dreams are on their way

If "silver girl" is a poetic description of a hypodermic needle, the meaning becomes more clear.

You need to understand the times when this song was written. All types of drugs were being used, and young people used drugs to get high, to calm down, and to create an alternate environment (LSD).

Quote:
To me it represents one giving comfort to someone who was going through bad times.

In those years, drugs were truly thought to be the answer to a young person's problems.

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Rhodes/9574/awards_honors.htm

The song won many awards in 1970, which was in the middle of the Vietnam War. Young people had a lot to be troubled about then!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 05:59 pm
That might or might not be true. I heard that the part "Sail on silver girl . . . " is all about shooting up, but it's very subtle, if it's true at all. I never heard Simon or Garfunkel actually every admit to it, but I could see how it might be true.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 09:10 pm
Good grief. Jermaine Jackson did a wonderful solo rendition of "Bridge Over Troubled Waters" on one of the earlier Jackson Five albums. "ABC" I believe. And sang it live at their shows. He was about fourteen or fifeteen at the time (so was I). And now you all are saying that this song was about shooting up heroin? Shocked
0 Replies

marshmello3455

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 12:10 pm
I'm sorry to burst all of your drug-induced bubbles, but the song is not about shooting up. It's a declairation of friendship, nothing more explicit than that. The "silver girl" line is a referance to one of Paul Simon's girlfriends who was upset about finding gray in her hair and is in fact a joke written into the lyrics for that girl. Paul Simon is not particularly shy about his drug usage and when he's written it into songs, it's pretty obvious and he admits to it freely. There is no reason to paint this song as something other than what it is.
0 Replies

Chris1235

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2015 01:33 pm
I dont think Simon has ever admitted it, but It's clearly a hymn to cannabis. The "I" is the drug, a bridge over troubled waters.
0 Replies

RAPOLK

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2015 07:11 am
@Truthbeknown,
It is about drugs. Silver girl is a hypo. The word "shine" is the reflection off the hypo.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2015 09:32 am
Like many good song lyrics, it can mean whatever you want, in this case, anything from Drugs to God.
0 Replies

RogerLohanan

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2017 02:16 pm
@Truthbeknown,
I don't know exactly what Bridge under trouble water mean. But to me it gives a sense of helping someone or some people get over their obstacles.
0 Replies