Jazz legend Dave Brubeck dead at 91

33export

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2012 08:05 am
@farmerman,
Ninety one - that's a lot of years. Wonder how his last ten or so went. I've seen all my neighbors carried out of their homes at less than 80.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2012 08:57 am
Can't help but feel that stuff called "jazz" these days (except for New Orleans jazz) is a sad second fiddle to the jazz of people like Brubeck.

I was introduced to his kind of jazz back when I was in service...and have loved it ever since.

Sad passing.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2012 11:14 am
@33export,
He was still performing at the Montreal Jazz Fest in the summer of 2011 so it seems he was kicking to the end
farmerman

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2012 01:23 pm
@ehBeth,
He onl;y did one actual performance there and then he couldnt do any more (according to a jazz critic on last nites CNN). It was at Montreal that he hung it up for good.

Ever listen to the Darius Brubeck Ensemble? (The ole man used to sit in )
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2012 09:14 pm
I remember reading that "Take Five" was the first jazz single to ever sell a million+plus records. And, as farmerman has pointed out, in 5/4 time that's even more than just amazing. Paul Desmond wrote that but I think "Blue Rondo a la Turk" was Brubeck's own composition.
0 Replies