No piece of paper can be folded in half more than 7 times

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2012 06:18 pm
An odd factoid which I would ordinarily promptly forget after reading about it. Which is why I am beginning this thread. Now this priceless information can be burned into my brain for all time or until I expire. Whichever comes first.

roger

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2012 06:22 pm
@edgarblythe,
Unknown expriation date < all time.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2012 06:49 pm
As far as a normal piece of paper goes this is true.

MythBusters sort of beat this one, if you count the fact that they started off with a "piece" of paper the size of a football field....well it was big. I also know of an experiment where they used very thin plastic sheeting and also got in more than seven folds.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2012 07:37 pm
@2PacksAday,
Does plastic sheeting count as paper? I have only normal paper and even so have no intent to start folding any to test the idea.
2PacksAday

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2012 08:20 pm
@edgarblythe,
I don't consider the plastic test to be the same either.....that was done by a well known "smart guy", and I won't mention his name, sometimes he does things like that.

There is a way to fold a regular piece of paper 8 times, they did it on that episode of MB, but I don't remember exactly what he did.

As far as folding in half, again and again....7 is the limit.

I've always wondered if you could do better with an old large bible, the paper in some of those are very thin, like rice paper, if I ever run across one that's trashed I'll rip out a page or two and try it.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2012 08:28 pm
@2PacksAday,
I had a copy of War and Peace that had that paper. Don't know how I let it get away.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2012 08:33 pm
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2012 09:59 pm
@edgarblythe,
Have you considered 3 ply toilet paper as an alternative?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2012 11:02 pm
I have not personally attempted to test the idea. I can see where special paper, such as the stuff in the video, could be used to thwart the saying. However, for ordinary paper, I am relatively certain the statement holds true.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2012 11:08 pm
@edgarblythe,
The myth was busted Edgar.

It wasn't special paper, it was just really big. But as the title of the thread says, the myth is that no piece of paper can be folded more than 7 times.

This is clearly untrue.

Mythbusters is cool.
0 Replies

RST

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2012 11:26 pm
@edgarblythe,
Apparently, Britney Gallivan, during her junior year in high school, came up with a mathematical model for the limits for square piece of paper, and used this knowledge to fold a large piece of paper twelve times in January 2002.

Equation
http://i.stack.imgur.com/GzO8G.gif
Variables in the equation determining the number of folds possible for a square piece of paper are width, and thickness which makes perfect sense.

Quote:
If the original formula calculated by Gallivan is correct, this shows that a standard piece of copy paper, even if it is extended a little, cannot be folded 8 times.

So what you say is true if "paper" is defined to be "standard piece of copy paper."
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2012 05:34 am
i before e except -
2PacksAday

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2012 07:14 pm
@edgarblythe,
I actually found one of those pieces of paper I was talking about...or close enough anyway.....while I was going thru some old files, the clerk said it was called "onion paper". Alas, seven folds was all I could get, but it was easier to fold....very thin stuff....a slight step above tracing paper.

EDIT: Onionskin, not onion paper.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2012 08:28 pm
@2PacksAday,
That jogged my memory. I used to know about that.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » No piece of paper can be folded in half more than 7 times
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/17/2024 at 10:10:48