Awesome Biographies.....

boomerang

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 09:51 pm
"What Fresh Hell is This" about Dorothy Parker

"Edie" about Edie Sedgwick

"Milking The Moon" about Eugene Walter

I'm sure I'll think of others. I love biographies. I'm adding many of these recommendations to my reading list!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 11:25 pm
I just found Captain Sir Richard Francis Burton in the second hand store yesterday. After some fascinating footnotes in one version of One Thousand Nights and a Night, I've been keeping an eye out for a biography. Haven't started it yet.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 12:39 am
I am loving the Stalin one I bought recently - "Court of the Red Tsar" I think it is...and "An Unfinished Life" really is a wonderful Kennedy biography.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 01:22 am
Years ago I read a biography of Huey Long ... A HUGE, chunky read it was! But very, very interesting ... for one so far removed from US politics.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 01:34 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I'm a Cellini Autobiography fan too. It was an important book to me, realigning my sense of myself and time, as I found it so.... modern. There are different translations...

I haven't read the Cellini book, but the Metropolitan Opera broadcast the Berlioz opera, "Benvenuto Cellini" last season, and it was great.
0 Replies

maya

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 03:26 pm
Lust for Life-Irving Stone. It is the bio of Vincent Van Gogh. Very good.
0 Replies

shunammite

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 05:17 pm
good topic
I will be interested to read some of the books mentioned on this thread, I think I have the David Niven one, picked it up at a used bookstore and never read it..yet...admired him as an actor, that was why.

I think a lot of the "great books" are really autobiographies...

Somerset Maugham's Of Human Bondage and Solzhenitsen's Cancer Ward are two of my particular favorites. Both unforgettable.

I can't help but think that Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier is also autobiographical somehow...no proof except the heroine's name is never revealed except it is "strange and wonderful" like her father's. It's just so personal and full of deep psychological insight...more like the story of her psychological journey I guess rather than a biography.

Cancer Ward...I can't say enough about how moving that book is...he tells everything about everything...give it a try, I promise you won't be disappointed...he's really a "lance armstrong", he had cancer back in the 1950's, radiation to the groin, he's still alive and fathered three sons afterwards too.

Lance Armstrong's Not about the bike is pretty good, but it's more who he is, the bare facts are enough to help you hang on when you just don't feel like it...

Dr Zhivago...I'm sure it's Pasternak's life....wonderful wonderful book...the movie was good too...but the book has so much more detail.

I'll put in another vote for the Sandburg Lincoln bios too. Also the Day Lincoln Was Shot, I forget who wrote it...I kept wringing my hands, "no don't go to that theater tonight", lolol...like he'd still be alive...I met an actor in Washington portraying Lincoln..had my pic made...and cried...lol at me...
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 09:02 am
thanks for the many great suggestions,
shunnamite....I have recently finished
"A House for Mr. Biswas" by V.S. Naipal. Though
it is fiction, set in the land where he grew up,
there seems to be so much of his experience in
it, that it seems almost like a biography. Beautiful,
beautiful writing......
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 04:32 pm
nimh wrote:
Finally, I read almost all of this book, except that I saved the last twenty or thirty pages for a trainride I was planning to make to the Domela Nieuwenhuis Museum in Heerenveen this summer (Nieuwenhuis being the legendary, fiercely loved and hated Dutch 19th century anarchist - it seemed like an appropriate trip to combine with finishing this book):

Hans Magnus Enzensberger - The Short Summer of Anarchy

So - I never made that trip - and eventually totally forgot about those remaining thirty pages. Until something reminded me the other day. Finished the book now after all. Great read. Very engaging; you can't help but feel the reverberation of the events inside yourself, and thus also grieve over Durutti's death when it comes. Yet a hagiography it is not in the least, exactly because of the style I already described: not a linear story, but a collection of testimonies, snippets from many different sources, from interviews with anarchist survivors, accounts from foreign observers, pieces of communist, anarchist or fascist agitprop - all presented side by side without commentary, except for eight brief thematic/chronological interludes.

As much as the book engages you in the subject of the Spanish civil war, described, through this technique, as a prism of varying, sometimes opposite experiences, what it teaches you is as much about the nature of sources as about Durutti's life. Reading Enzensberger's overview of accounts, presented without explicitation of what he holds to be the truth, is an instructive experience - you find yourself looking up, for every single paragraph-long account of this or that event or occurrence, the name of the person in the index to see what corner he was describing it from; was he a communist supporter of the Soviets? A true-blooded anarchist? A disengaged observer? Is it recounted through the fog of memory? Was it taken from a newspaper back then, or a leaflet even - each with its own agenda? A hundred times you think, hey that could be ... then look up the name and go, oh, of course, in that case ... context is everything, in history. Enzensberger seems to have been concerned as much with telling us about that as about Durutti himself - a case study, kinda. As he notes, somewhere (sorry for my crappy translation):

Quote:
The two books about the civil war that are considered the standard works on it both mention Durutti only on a few pages: but even the scarce amount of concrete information they provide is seriously at odds with each other. [examples snipped]. These discrepancies are no wonder and the historians can be reproached for them even less. Even the most dutiful research of sources will not be able to cut through the knot of what has been recounted; at most, one can use them to draw a "family tree" of the different versions. In such "family trees" one can observe how an obscure propaganda brochure is cited in a semi-academic work and thus acquires a certain respectability. From there, it turns up in serious treatises, in standard works and lexicons. The blind belief in the printed word is widely spread; as fact counts whatever has been cited often enough.

This continues right up to the accounts of Durutti's death. It was sudden, while he was visiting troops at the front, right there in Madrid where he'd led his unit to help fend off the fascists (admittedly without much success). He was shot. By a sniper from the top floors of the hospital building across the road, which the fascists still held, said the anarchist CNT-FAI's newspaper, repeated its leaders in speeches. By the communists, who feared his popularity and the way his principled position blocked their way to power, suspicious individual anarchists insisted. By one of his own men, one of the many who tried to desert from what was a ragtag undisciplined unit, when he was trying to stop him, rumoured Communist observers, a notion repeated in fascist propaganda. Through an accident, said the eyewitnesses, some only coming out with the truth long afterwards. When Durutti had stepped out of the car, his gun, an old, notoriously unreliable thing, got caught behind the door and went off. Bullet went straight through his lungs and heart.

One thing all the sources agreed on: Durutti left behind nothing. He had no possessions whatsoever. They could barely find a proper coat to bury him in. But the cavalcade in which his body was driven through Valencia, Barcelona, was surrounded by thousands, ordinary city folk, overmanned by grief - that, too, the sources seem to agree on.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 11:31 am
I was in a bookgroup for 14 years and someone in the group said that the older one grows, the more interesting one finds biographies.

I read Edie several years ago and enjoyed it immensely.

Brenda Maddox has written two or three outstanding bios, including a wonderful biography of James Joyce's wife, Nora Barnicle. I am not certain of the title but it is something like Nora: Being the Real Life of Molly Bloom.

There are some very good books on Joan of Arc and Mary Magdalene that are outside the realm of what you may consider biography but are fascinating reads. Don't have any references right now, but one of the Magdalene books was written by an art historian and relates the paintings of which Mary is a subject to attitudes toward her.

Simone de Beauvoir wrote terrible novels but her memoirs are wonderful, especially for anyone interested in the intellectual history of the 20th C.
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 09:31 pm
Sacajawea
Has anyone on this thread read "Sacajawea" by Anna Lee Waldo? Or know someone who has? If so, comments please.

I hope to attempt it eventually. "Attempt" because it has 1408 pages ( in paperback)! I couldn't resist buying it - new - along with two other new paperbacks: "On the Beach" by Neville Shute and Anne Tyler's "The Accidental Tourist" - which I read about 12 years ago. I don't remember much about the story; only that I liked it and thought it was well-written.

Our huge local library has a bargain table. These three paperbacks totaled $1.00 (3/$1)!!! CD's are a dollar each. Sometimes new, sometimes used. Today's "haul" - in sealed, pristine packaging - included Clay Davidson's "Unconditional" (a gift for a friend) and Los Tucanes de Tijuana's "Corridos de Primera Plana." Then, there are the twice-yearly book sales of 2 to 3 thousand books . . . Not enough hours in the day!!! Smile Smile Smile
[/color]

http://www.ac.wwu.edu/~stephan/Animation/chaplin.movie.gif
0 Replies

rodbogey

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 01:12 am
Sigmund Freud's by Ernest Jones is one of the finest I've came across with.
0 Replies

Nietzsche

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 10:47 pm
Nietzsche: The Man and His Philosophy by R.J. Hollingdale is the best Nietzsche biography available in English.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 07:39 pm
Thanks for the great reviews.....there are definately some great titles to add to my list.

I am wondering when autobiography veers into
fiction....Isak Dinesen's Out of Africa.....autobiography, art or fiction?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 08:00 pm
I don't know, I read it long ago. I was underimpressed, but I finished it.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 07:57 am
I read a biography about Isak Dinesen entitled
"Silence Will Speak" by Errol Treblinski. The author
describes Dinesen as a maestro of literary silence. I cant remember the exact term for it, but it is the author's abilty to speak with silence, revealing a story by what is not said, what is hidden, reading between the lines of the text.

From this viewpoint Out of Africa is the story of Dinesen's intense, but somewhat unrequited love for the free-spirited Denys Finch-Hatton, though he appeared in the book as only an occasional character.

I thought it was beautiiful.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 03:49 am
Nice to see you again, shepaints! Very Happy
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 07:46 am
gr8 2 c u 2, msolga!!!....By the way is it ms olga,
'cos that's the way I pronounce it?
0 Replies

msolga