POST DELETED!

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 02:36 pm
post deleted due to a customer finding this post. Sorry! Must delete!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 879 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 02:50 pm
Well, first of all I'm more like you in terms of skill.

But I have an avid interest in marketing and have been paid to rebrand a couple of online businesses.

But what it sounds to me is that your boss is giddy from a seminar and is asking you to do something but he doesn't know what it is.

Rebranding is somthing that people usually do when their current brand has a problem.

So unless your company has a problem I think your boss is an idiot who wants a new gimmick.

But hey, you have to work within that, so let's deal with the cards you are dealt.

What images and values do you need to get across? Does "hip" work for your company? Does it need to give the image of reliability? Seriousness?

Start with the value-laden descriptors you think your boss wants the company to be described as and work from there.

What I'd do is factor in fundamentals. Make the sites more user-friendly and such because regardless of branding that's always a good thing.

If there is really no need to rebrand, I'd go with emphasising more of the fundamentals.

I can't tell you what to go for as I don't know the company in question but here are a few ideas on what to change:

1) logo. This is always a big part of any branding.

2) Come up with a slogan. Sounds liek your boss wants you to do it all but get his feedback. This is important for him to think you did a fine rebranding job.

The slogan should be the theme of the rebranding.

e.g. if you brand around a "good services" cliché you try to use a slogan oriented towards it.

3) Site redesign. This is a good chance just to improve. The colors and design should fit the branding (e.g. if you are promoting a "hip" brand theme you can be more flashy but if you want to project solid business practices go with understated elegance).

IMO, it sounds like he just wants change.

What I'd do is:

1) decide on a theme for the brand. Memorability is contingient on having some theme.

2) Work the theme into the sales copy. IMO the theme should focus on ways to differentiate yourself.

e.g. "Our company is unique in that we work very well with X technology"

Trying to be a jack of all trades can hurt branding and people appreciate the honesty.

Anywho, I can't be much of a help. It sounds liek your boss is just itching for change. I'd just try to brand better instead of brand differently if the current theme is working.

To brand better would be to simply enhance the branding. Use a slogan if you don't currently have one etc.

Welcome to A2K.
0 Replies