Lisinopril revisited

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2012 02:49 pm
Class-action lawsuits against Lisinopril are proliferating as more and more of us are deprived of thousands if not millions of our remaining years by liver and kidney failure

Being onesuch victim I applied to onesuch lawfirm but was summarily rejected as a client with no explanation whatever

Why
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,826 • Replies: 29
No top replies

roger

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2012 03:01 pm
@dalehileman,
Only the lawfirm could explain that, and they have declined.

Possibly it's an age thing. They may base their claims on how many years of normal lifespan the patient has potentially been denied. That is, if someone under 30 had been taking lisinopril and were having kidney problems, their claim is more persuasive.

By the way, I took the stuff for several years and still have really good kidney and liver functions as indicated by routine bloodwork. I'm 68 years old.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2012 03:16 pm
@roger,
I take it, but a very low amount if at all, after a bp reading. At this point I'm down to a half of a 5 mg. pill every other day, having made some behavioral changes - so that's something like 1.25 a day. I started out at 20 mg., and fell a couple of times, boom to the floor, hitting my head - - something about sudden reduction of blood pressure (there are warnings all over the place about this). Now I don't take it unless my reading is high enough on the diastolic number - as the times I've felt low bp was happening (my carotid, I gather), I checked the reading and the diastolic was scary low. That hasn't happened in a long time now. My doctor is fine with this, and thinks I could go off of medication, but if I don't take it for, say, four days, the bp will start going up. So I still watch.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2012 03:42 pm
@ossobuco,
On the legal stuff, I've no idea, but Roger's take about it possibly being an age issue with whatever firm you tried to connect with (wait, did they know your age?) makes sense.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2012 03:47 pm
@roger,
Quote:
Only the lawfirm could explain that...
Yea, alas

Quote:
Possibly it's an age thing. …..how many years of normal lifespan the patient has potentially been denied….
Likely. At 82 I had hoped to live another 22 years but now it's only 5; so as such I'm relatively worthless to the firm

What's five years of that old man's life anyhow when we have so many youngsters, sure thing

Quote:
By the way, I took the stuff for several years and still have really good kidney and liver functions as indicated by routine bloodwork. I'm 68 years old.
Glad to hear. However I'd avoid it in the future
dalehileman

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2012 03:54 pm
@ossobuco,
Hypertension is apparently old hat gone by the board. High blood pressure used to be bad but now it's good. When my kidney condition was discovered my GP and nephrologist switched me to a new set of meds whereupon I complained to the latter that my hypertension was back, with readings as high as 160. "Yes, that's good," he observed

Incidentally in much the same vein alcohol is being found very beneficial in many ways (pun unintended). So as Recording Secretary of the Greater Southwest Beer-Tasting Society I am much obliged for that revelation
roger

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2012 03:58 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Likely. At 82 I had hoped to live another 22 years but now it's only 5; so as such I'm relatively worthless to the firm

Ah, what the heck, Dale. With insurance and underutilized assets, lots of people are worth more dead than alive. Rejoice that you are not one of them.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2012 04:02 pm
@ossobuco,
I've a family story that is somewhat related.

My mother in law was hospitalized and at that time she had been fuzzy witted for a while (I always thought she was, even very early, have made fun of her on a2k for her atrocious jello salads - - - mustard?), but not entirely "out of it". Her blood pressure had gone way down, diastolic being in the forties, and the md called the family for a conference on whether to give her some drug to bring her pressure back, reserpine? started with r. I was invited to the room but my opinion was certainly least important what with her sisters and sons being there. When it was my turn to talk I said it wasn't my role to be part of the decision, but did mention that she had remarked politely (maybe a blink of happily) about some flowers that were delivered the day before.
It was clear to me the doc was pushing for 'let her go, let this go', a position I get and I guess am routinely for.

The family said no to the added drug.
The next day her bp was fine.

I've read that a drink of water can help, no idea how true.

0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2012 04:03 pm
@roger,
Quote:
lots of people are worth more dead than alive. Rejoice that you are not one of them.
A number of a2k participants might disagree
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2012 04:07 pm
@dalehileman,
Really? Well, that's damned good news.
I'm kidding, I'm sure that's all complicated re metabolics.
Drinking only wine once in a while keeps my bp normal.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2012 04:10 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Drinking only wine once in a while keeps my bp normal.
As Recording Secretary of the Greater Southwest Beer-Tasting Society I wish I could say the same about The Brew
ossobuco

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2012 04:19 pm
@dalehileman,
I'm not a big beer fan, like it once in a dog's age, and it'd better be a good one.
Diane (you probably don't know her, mate of the famed Dyslexia of A2k) and I occasionally have split one.

It's probably a matter of good luck that I can't afford the best single malt scotches.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2012 06:02 pm
I take one 20 mg tablet daily. Never had a problem.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 11:35 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I'm not a big beer fan, like it once in a dog's age, and it'd better be a good one.
My feeling at once. However, at our guessing-tastings we insist on the occasional American or Mexican oldtimer, for contrast

Quote:
Diane (you probably don't know her,
I don't but please ask her if she's interested in GSBTS to contact me at [email protected]

Quote:
of the famed Dyslexia of A2k) and I occasionally have split one.
Given a third party to uncork, you might find the guessing game fun

http://www.realbeer.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=23994

0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 11:37 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

I take one 20 mg tablet daily. Never had a problem.
It's very confusing Andy. To my amazement and horror, even my nephrologist occasionally prescribes it
roger

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 11:48 am
@dalehileman,
He does, eh? Maybe this is one of those class actions the lawyers are hoping someone will offer a settlement just to make it go away.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 11:52 am
@roger,
Quote:
hoping someone will offer a settlement
Of course, Rog. We might seem cynical but at least we're realistic
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2017 12:08 pm
Ah, an old lisinopril thread.
Some time after I last fell badly from it, kaboom to the tile floor, I was rushed to the hospital. I reported all that on a2k back then. I was stuck there for five days, studied by the cardiology department. The denouement was that it was definitely the lisinopril as proven by the last test, and the cardiologist switched me to mededrine. Of course, I/we watched my readings every day. No more fainting with the midedrene.

In time, I needed less and less, and my then general doc thought I could try cutting the drug out completely, while still checking my pressure.
That turned out well - and stayed well. My BP has been quite normal for something like four years now, maybe more.

I still take the pressure, um, something like 5 times a week, as a habit, but it's always perfect now.

What is sort of funny is that I didn't have high bp back in California, though once in a while it nudged up a bit, nothing that worried my docs.
Then I moved to New Mexico, and went almost right away with friends to their doctor. I went with them since I hoped to have my eye pressure checked, but nah, they didn't do that there. Instead they checked my bp, and dammit, it was 183, way higher than it had ever been before. Thus I started my life of lisinopril taking - along with fainting spells.
Bah humbug!

Now that I'm some years away from all that bp worry, I wish I had not started on the lisinopril but gone to another doctor of my own first, preferably an internist, to check my status to verify it before embarking on that roller coaster ride.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2017 01:49 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Thanks Oss for that report. In fact I have fallen over several times; once in our pool, but lucky I can swim good

Once though in the house helping BH fix somethin', injured my leg, so now I limp

One time I fell over its wall out in the land-turtle area, leaving a permanent gash in my back, healed, but uggg

Since quit but still dizzy. Mebbe it's the Focus Factor or the Doxazosin. They'll getcha one way or t'other
ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2017 06:37 pm
@dalehileman,
Well, if I remember back when lisinopril caused me to faint, let me remember, something like eight or ten times, not every day, but sometimes. I did a lot of reading about it. Not everyone faints from it, but it's got quite a reputation for that.

Once I got on midedrine, however I should be spelling that, the fainting and smashing my head on the floor stopped. It's an odd drug too, but I didn't have trouble with it - I just got better over some months and the docs cut me off of needing bp meds.

Our a2ker sounded like he was fine with lisinopril, maybe in this thread.

Not to nag, but you might talk with your physician about your falling and dizzyness, and about lisinopril. as a possible part (or whole) of what is going on.
0 Replies