Early man development

Enzo

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 03:41 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Eating meat led to smaller stomachs, bigger brains
Quote:
But growing brain size presented a metabolic problem. A gram of brain tissue takes 20 times more energy to grow and maintain than a gram of tissue from the kidney, heart, or liver, she said. Gut tissue is metabolically expensive too — so as brains grew gut sizes shrank.

It’s likely that meat eating “made it possible for humans to evolve a larger brain size,” said Aiello. Early human ancestors probably consumed more animal foods — termites and small mammals – than the 2 percent of carnivorous caloric intake associated with chimpanzees.

The social implications of increased meat eating were interesting, said Aiellio. In most primates, there’s no food sharing between females and offspring, she said. But the difficulty of getting meat led to cooperative food sharing among early humans, strengthening the bond between a female and her offspring.

Increased meat eating also likely led to an increased division of labor between the sexes, said Aiello. The males would hunt and provide; the females — faced with more intensive motherhoods — would raise the hominid young, who were dependent longer than ape infants.

But is there evidence in the fossil record for a transition to what Aiello called “a high-quality animal-based diet”?

Briefly, yes. For one, animal bones from 2.5 million years ago showed cut marks thought to be from the earliest stone tools. And earlier species of early hominids had strong jaws and molar-like teeth; later species were more like modern humans, with weaker jaws, smaller faces, and smaller teeth.

There are other of bits of evidence pointing to meat eating by early humans, said Aiello. “My favorite are the tapeworms.”

Parasite historians — yes, there are some — say that hyenas and early humans were infected by the same type of tapeworms, which suggests they shared booty from scavenged carrion. (Such analysis is possible because of “isotopic ecology,” the study of microscopic traces of food-related isotopes in both fossils and living creatures.)

Our human ancestors were not wholly carnivores — “that would be silly,” said Aiello, who does not argue that meat-eating caused bigger brains — just that it made bigger brains possible.

Limited language abilities were present in Homo erectus, but Homo Sapiens definitely had more language control and versatility in creating and placing meaning on symbols (thus the development of a higher level of language), so I think language and larger brains are as much an inseparable part of humanity, which is in a way connected to a diet entailing meat.

This makes me wonder if whether early language or the discovery fire helped more to circumstantially find better "food sources and the social changes they engendered accelerated our human ancestors toward civilization." It may have been both, I would guess.
Roberta

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 11:11 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe, I agree to an extent. Chimps are the only great apes I know of that hunt on a regular basis. Gorillas are herbivores, and orangutans will very, very rarely try hunting.

Chimps have a high success rate in their hunting forays. Superior intelligence, planning, and communication make this possible. However, chimps hunt in trees--not on the ground.

Homo eructus was stuck on the ground, where large prey was available, and where large predators were competitors for the prey. Although communication would have been helpful, without weapons, early humans wouldn't have had much chance to succeed in hunting and would more likely have been the huntee.

Remember also that most predators and prey animals have superior senses to humans. We have great color vision but not much else in the sense department to make us successful hunters. Weapons helped.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 11:36 am
@Roberta,
Human's ability to be creative in the way of defense can be an advantage. The Masai live in the middle of wild game, and survive okay.
0 Replies

Rickoshay75

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 02:03 pm
@Enzo,
Enzo wrote:

If I were to meet a real evolution archaeologist, my first question I would ask is if whether without the discovery of fire, would Homo Erectus have the same level of environmental pressures to evolve into Homo Sapiens?

Flint stone is my pick. It started fires to cook and the sharp edge cut through tough hides to get to the edible meat, saving teeth, prolonging life. Flint stone was also used to make tools, weapons, clothing, shoes from hides...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is short, and Art long; the crisis fleeting; experience perilous, and decision difficult. Hippocrates
0 Replies

Rickoshay75

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 02:13 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

I agree with Setanta. Early man may have been a carnivore but he was a lousy hunter until he learned how to use such crude weapons as sharpened sticks and throwable stones. And even then he had to rely on small game that wouldn't bite back.

One hunter throwing rocks would have little success until he joined other rock throwing hunters, learned to hunt with the wind blowing their way, and found a large cave for them all to live in.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 02:23 pm
@Rickoshay75,
Is that how the sling shot came into being?
Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 04:04 pm
@Rickoshay75,
You make this **** up as you go along, don't ya?

Until quite recently, our ancestors lived on the open plains of Africa. Not only is there no reason to assume that they were troglodytic, there very likely was no opportunity for them to inhabit caves.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 04:25 pm
They had to import their caves in those days. A two bedroom suite went for quite a few clams and bags of salt.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 04:54 pm
@edgarblythe,
Maybe a keg of beer. Mr. Green
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 05:22 pm
@Setanta,
Lets not forget that early man also inhabited caves in what is now France.
That would have been a semi-glacial area during the ice age.
The discovery of fire, and learning how to use it, gave man a distinct advantage in that region.
It allowed them to settle down, in the areas that were rich with game, and it allowed them to stay there.

What I have always wondered is this...how much, if any, cooperation occurred between early man and the Neanderthal?
After all, Neanderthal was actually a different subspecies of hominid then modern man, so was it even possible for them to cooperate and possibly interested.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 05:37 pm
@mysteryman,
They were probably kiss'n cousins. Mr. Green
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 05:46 pm
@mysteryman,
The latest research I've seen, mm, seems to indicate that there was probably some inter-breeding between Neanderthals and homo sapiens sapiens. But that doesn't necessarily mean that there was ever any cooperation between groups of each sub-species.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 03:55 am
@mysteryman,
What do you mean by "early man?" Hominids, who hunted, date back millions of years. You're talking about people tens of thousands of years ago. Early modern man, in the scientific parlance, anatomically modern humans, dates back to nearly 200,000 years ago, and they were still in Africa then.

There is archaeological evidence of early modern man and Neanderthals living side-by-side, and probably peacefully, but no evidence of "cooperation." I don't know how one could determine that. A couple of years ago, it was being said that contemporary humans have from one to four percent Neanderthal DNA. However, this summer, scientists at Cambridge have said that that's just coincidence, a remnant of DNA which both had from a common ancestor.
0 Replies

Rickoshay75

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 03:54 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Is that how the sling shot came into being?

Could be, with the sharp flint stone used to cut animal hide strips and rock holder, it wasn't much of a leap to put it all together.

Logistics – one step at a time toward an unpredictable future
Rickoshay75

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 04:10 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

Well, there is, of course, the clear implication that the question posted in the o.p. refers specifically to man's role as a carnivore. So, while I agree with your opinion that the development of language is key to human evolution, I also see this claim as irrlevant to the question. Given the unusual brain capacity of that marvelous organ in our skulls, herbivores would, no doubt, have developed language just as readily. It has nothing to do with man as meat eater, which is what the o.p. refers to.

Like you I once believed the brain the essential part of our being, then I read this.. Now, I'm really confused

http://www.nytimes.com/1997/08/19/science/removing-half-of-brain-improves-young-epileptics-lives.html

0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 04:13 pm
@Rickoshay75,
Producing a sling was a great big leap, as was the atlatl.
0 Replies

Rickoshay75

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 04:35 pm
@Enzo,
Enzo wrote:

Eating meat led to smaller stomachs, bigger brains
Quote:
But growing brain size presented a metabolic problem. A gram of brain tissue takes 20 times more energy to grow and maintain than a gram of tissue from the kidney, heart, or liver, she said. Gut tissue is metabolically expensive too — so as brains grew gut sizes shrank.

It’s likely that meat eating “made it possible for humans to evolve a larger brain size,” said Aiello. Early human ancestors probably consumed more animal foods — termites and small mammals – than the 2 percent of carnivorous caloric intake associated with chimpanzees.

The social implications of increased meat eating were interesting, said Aiellio. In most primates, there’s no food sharing between females and offspring, she said. But the difficulty of getting meat led to cooperative food sharing among early humans, strengthening the bond between a female and her offspring.

Increased meat eating also likely led to an increased division of labor between the sexes, said Aiello. The males would hunt and provide; the females — faced with more intensive motherhoods — would raise the hominid young, who were dependent longer than ape infants.

But is there evidence in the fossil record for a transition to what Aiello called “a high-quality animal-based diet”?

Briefly, yes. For one, animal bones from 2.5 million years ago showed cut marks thought to be from the earliest stone tools. And earlier species of early hominids had strong jaws and molar-like teeth; later species were more like modern humans, with weaker jaws, smaller faces, and smaller teeth.

There are other of bits of evidence pointing to meat eating by early humans, said Aiello. “My favorite are the tapeworms.”

Parasite historians — yes, there are some — say that hyenas and early humans were infected by the same type of tapeworms, which suggests they shared booty from scavenged carrion. (Such analysis is possible because of “isotopic ecology,” the study of microscopic traces of food-related isotopes in both fossils and living creatures.)

Our human ancestors were not wholly carnivores — “that would be silly,” said Aiello, who does not argue that meat-eating caused bigger brains — just that it made bigger brains possible.

Limited language abilities were present in Homo erectus, but Homo Sapiens definitely had more language control and versatility in creating and placing meaning on symbols (thus the development of a higher level of language), so I think language and larger brains are as much an inseparable part of humanity, which is in a way connected to a diet entailing meat.

This makes me wonder if whether early language or the discovery fire helped more to circumstantially find better "food sources and the social changes they engendered accelerated our human ancestors toward civilization." It may have been both, I would guess.

You may be right, but all I can visualize is early man grunting, pointing, and being angry, like a chimp.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 10:11:27