Has anyone read . . .

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2012 10:40 pm
Just Kids by Patti Smith?

Midwife, reissued since the British drama series debuted as Call the Midwife: A Memoir of Birth, Joy and Hard Times by Jennifer Worth?

I requested six classes from our catalog. One is ENG 101 for which I will again offer a choice of several books. I was thinking of one of the above as a memoir selection.

I am only offering not less than four books and not more than six. I will never teach The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time again and I will probably never teach any of Frederick Douglass' memoirs.

Other classes I applied for include ENG 100, an introduction to the college essay; ENG 102, for which I would teach Hamlet and The History of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde; The Hero in Literature, Myth and Film; Writing Fiction, and ENG 096, Intermediate Writing.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,264 • Replies: 5
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2012 11:00 pm
@plainoldme,
Just Kids by Patti Smith?
Yes. Beautifully written. Especially when she talks about her relationship with Robert Mapplethorpe. The only weak parts is when she name drops the celebrities she cohorted with before they were celebrities.
plainoldme

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 09:49 pm
@tsarstepan,
Thanks! You are the second person to recommend it. Name dropping is a prob, isn't it?
nextone

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 10:20 pm
@plainoldme,
I liked Just Kids very much. As a New Yorker , so much of her story brought the time and place(s) back clearly. Other memoirs I've enjoyed in the past year: Jr Moehringer"s The Tender Bar, Mary Carr's The Liars' Club, and going back a few years, Temple Grandin's Thinking in Pictures.
plainoldme

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2012 08:46 pm
@nextone,
Thanks. Could you fill me in a bit? I never heard of Moehringer. While I heard of The Liar's Club, the name Mary Carr is only vaguely familiar. I also heard of Temple Grandin (who I assume is a woman) but I do not know why.
nextone

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2012 10:53 pm
@plainoldme,
Came across Moehringer when I read Andre Agassi's memoir, Open. Moehringer "ghosted" or perhaps "channeled" Agassi, and when Agassi wanted to give him writing credit, M. said he didn't want his name on the book that way. Agassi writes of M.'s involvement in an afterword.
Moehringer is a very good writer, as is Mary Carr. Carr wrote three memoirs, The Liars' Club,I forget the title of next book, started it and didn't finish it, and Lit, which was the third part of her story, most recent book .
Grandin is autistic, famous for her understanding, empathy with animals.
If you google these three, you'll get a clear idea of the subject matter in these memoirs. All deal with adversity, damages, consequences, successes...."Round up the usual suspects/subjects." When I was teaching, English in the old days, Language Arts later on, and I'm not sure what it's named today, I enjoyed giving students a wide array of choices using material I enjoyed. I would have been happy to introduce these three authors to my own students.
0 Replies