For ROCK AND ROLLERS with KIDS

fealola

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2004 11:14 am
I have 2 boys. Both love music and both with oppisite taste in music.

The 17 year old hates all pop (britteny, justin, rap etc.) and doesn't care for rock. He likes the techno stuff.

The fourteen year old hates the same, but loves "classic" rock and roll, metal, etc: A/C D/C, Clapton, Ozzie, Beatles, Zep, Judas P., Metallica, Petty, Yes, Hendrix, Van Halen-- all the good stuff (and some bad from the sixtie, seventies and eighties). He's teaching himself to play guitar and starting out with stuff like surf guitar and old Kinks and letting his hair grow.

I'm glad for #2, and am and agree with both kids disdain for today's Pop music.

Is Rock and Roll disappearing or evolving? (This isn't a rant from an old fogie, -- I'm old, but not a fogie-- I welcome the new) Do many kids like rock today? Are there anything new good mainstream rock bands coming along? I'm too removed from the culture these days to know. I thought the White Stripes were amazing on the Grammys.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 749 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2004 12:07 pm
I've got two sons as well. Both are into indie rock, which would include the White Stirpes. ( I love 'em, too.) I think the mose exciting music is being made right now. It is not mainstream and that is it's main appeal. The best thing about Rock and Roll is that it is music anybody can make. Bands that have the most energy and fun with three chords and two minutes ( think the Ramones) get my vote.

Check out The Shins. They're a fairly new band that I like a loThe Shins Websitet.
0 Replies