Why do I have to avoid strenuous activity?

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2012 02:52 pm
I'm supposed to avoid it until my jawbone grows back, but why is it bad? It's not like I'm going to be gritting my teeth lifting weights. Or maybe it has something to do with the increase in heart rate and my stitches?

I'm asking because if I understand why it's bad, I can decide what kind of things I can do.

ossobuco

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2012 02:59 pm
@PinkLipstick,
Why are you not asking your dentist about this? This is not a website filled with dentists answering every hour of the day.

The Mayo Clinic is famously useful for medical questions. Maybe there are websites that deal with specific dental questions.

But, better, call your dentist's office and ask.
I probably sound snappish, but that is because I can't understand why your dentist hasn't talked with you more in the first place. You have had a major procedure and do rightfully need attention.
0 Replies

Enzo

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2012 03:23 pm
@PinkLipstick,
Likely the surgeon sees a potential risk of ripping your stitches when partaking in strenuous activity, i.e. work out. Re-stitching can create complications such as infection, excessive scarring, etc.
Listen to your surgeon, take it easy, and rest until you're healed.
roger

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2012 03:37 pm
@Enzo,
Likely.

It is very hard to do heavy lifting without involving the facial muscles. I had the same instruction after surgery for a deviated septum, and that was the explanation. Fortunately, I did have a doctor that explained this.
0 Replies

amygarside

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2012 11:38 pm
@PinkLipstick,
It may be because your stitches will be affected. It is better to lay off the strenuous activity for a while.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Why do I have to avoid strenuous activity?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 10:25:57