Question for our gardeners

jcboy

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2012 11:32 am
@Butrflynet,
That's what they used, some type of plastic fabric. Some of it I only found because the dogs dug it up and played tug a war with it in the yard.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2012 03:13 pm
@chai2,
- full plastic of whatever color keeps water from getting nearer to an aquifer

- that is a point for what we used to call 'saran', a plastic weave - water can pass.

- your ground is native to the area. It is routinely treated by adding amendments.
Whether to fight the natural ground or not could take us until doomsday to argue.

I've moved over the years to the natives point of view - but I have herbs across my front yard, lavender and rosemary, because they are tolerant and make me happy - - but they are not natives. So... not a perfectionist.

- the nastiness that is there in your side yard is likely without memory of every being roundupped. It is the natural soil.

I agree with the raised bed point of view, given the raised beds drain.

ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2012 03:17 pm
@ossobuco,
I should explain - I was exaggerating. Water will drain some way and will go downwards.. ever so slightly toward the aquifer.

Soil is a result of natural processes including water. I like that to continue.

If you really want to kill off stuff, look into pre emergents.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2012 03:20 pm
If you are seeing clear plastic on gardens around your house, then it's because there are plants in that bedding that they hope to keep warm and encourage growth. They are creating mini hot houses. Clear plastic will not keep out your weeds.

You must deprive weeds of light, water and nutrition.
0 Replies

Ceili
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2012 11:09 pm
One of the cheapest ways to kill weeds and make a good base for plants is to layer. Dig out the clay, put down a layer of cardboard or several layers of newspapers. Then add a thick layer of straw, compost, grass cuttings, leaves, coffee grinds and filters, manure and more straw, soak with water, add another layer of newspaper and cover with a thin layer of top soil.
Cardboard and plastic will block out the vast majority of weeds and will provide the soil with oxygen and water. The layers will rot down and provide nutrients, oxygen and good loose soil. And if you start the layers now and keep them moistish you'll be ready for the spring, as the layers should have composted by then. You can always top off the beds with more compost as they settle.
chai2

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2012 06:53 am
@Ceili,
Ding ding ding, we have a weiner!

Thank you Ceili, for acknowledging the fact the clay is indeed coming up.

Will not weeds, from seeds blown from over the fence (there is a wooded free growing area behind me) sprout from the layers?

I suppose I can deal with those stragglers as the winter progresses into spring.
Ceili

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2012 08:59 am
@chai2,
Yes, they probably will, but because the layered planting soil is loose, not compact, the weeds will easily pull out. You will never get rid of 100% of weeds, but this method will make them much easier to deal with and wont force your plants to compete with a strong weed root systems. Adding more compost each year will help choke out the weeds as well, keeping the soil healthy in the meantime.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2012 10:51 am
BTW, to morgan....

I just tore up the stray tomato plant that grew all summer long by itself, and that I picked tiny red tomatoes from all season. I haven't even touched the plant in the last month or 6 weeks though.

A pulling up, I went through the plant and got about 3 cups of little red tomatoes, and at least 1/2 gallon of green.

I guess I'll be having a fried green tomato party tonight. A couple of passerby while I was working out there already invited themselves. Smile
0 Replies