shopping at a thrift store

Eve

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2004 04:45 pm
I had forgotten there was any other place to shop
Very Happy
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2004 05:03 pm
Yep, location has a lot to do with it. L.A. was just fantastic for thrift store shopping. Lotsa people who would give away shoes that are "so 15 minutes ago" or maybe have some scuff marks on the leather soles. I bought a ton of great stuff, some vintage silk starlet suits (30's - 40's), lots of vintage jackets, shoes, etc., etc., etc. It was great.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2004 05:08 pm
ehBeth wrote:
If you spend enough time around thrift shops you realize that quite well to do people shop at thrift stores. I suspect it's part of what makes some of them well-to-do. There's definitely nothing wrong with it. (unless it's one particular thrift shop that I have political issues with).

Which shop is that, and why?
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2004 06:42 pm
Thrift stores are the most fun places to shop because you never know what they might have. Sometimes you'll find incredible buys.

I volunteered at a thrift store in Connecticut that forwarded its proceeds to an organization for people with developmental disabilities. Many people in the area were familiar with this organization and would make a point to bring in very good items--clothing, furniture, luggage, jewelry, kitchen items, etc. Often, the clothes would still have price tags attached. The women didn't like something they purchased and, instead of returning it to the store, they would just bring it into the thrift store. Both fun and beneficial.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2004 08:23 pm
Well I'm glad ehBeth cleared it up! I had always thought thrift stores were for the purpose she mentioned -- to raise money through the sale of donated items. I never ever thought they were stores only for the poor. Certainly there are deals to be had with a thrift store that would make it more economical for those with fewer $$'s, but it isn't just for poorer folks. I hope your hubby understands this now. Smile

Reminds me of days gone by...my friends and I would check out Value Village on a semi-regular basis. I bought a great sweater there once...not realizing that it was wool. Ooooo....had to give it away because wool makes me toooo itchy! *scratches just thinkin' about it*
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2004 09:47 pm
Love shopping at thrift stores. When wearing mens' sports jackets was so trendy a few years ago, the Goodwill was the place to go. I understand that the ones in Italy are quite wonderful. Has anyone here been to one?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 05:42 am
I have yet to find thrift shops around here that offer anything other than cloths. I remember when I was little there was a goodwill shop in Waltham that had a variety of stuff, but it shut down and I haven't seen one since. Our local thrift shop does have a bin with childrens toys, but other than that it's all cloths, shoes, and purses.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 12:04 am
Most of my clothes are from thrift stores and I have some nice clothes. My only problem with shopping in thrift stores as a general thing is that now I find ordinary stores very boring, even high end ones.
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 11:16 pm
'Tana - all the thrift stores around here have more than clothes. I'm surprised that you don't have the same thing up there. Goodwill, Salvation Army. . . we've bought a lot of stuff over the years for it. Occasionally I'll go routing through there trying to find old computer stuff, just for S&G's. Plus, as I said, it's a good place to pick books up at.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 11:40 pm
I love shopping in thrift stores. At one point in my life I doubt if you could point to anything I owned without it being second hand. I bought a bunch of furniture, re-upholstered, painted or stained most of it. I had an eclectic lifestyle.

Most chain thrift companies date the stuff they get, if it isn't sold by a certain date, they bundle up the clothing and sell it by the pound to poor countries. In case you've ever wondered.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 12:21 am
I love Value Village. it's the best thrift store ever, i went there last week and spend like 2 hours lookin around. I ending up buying like 10 very nice articals of clothes for like under $50. It was awesome.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/06/2024 at 03:56:50