shopping at a thrift store

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 03:32 pm
I'm a middle-class housewife. I dropped off some donations at a thrift store, then went in to see if there was anything good for sale. My dd was with me and had been a bit dismayed that I had donated some of the pretty clothes she had outgrown, so I wanted to get her a clothing item or a toy. I bought a toy airplane for 25 cents and a man's shirt for the fabric. She was happy and so was I. I told my husband about it and he thought it was wrong for me to shop at a thrift store since I would be depriving the needy of the merchandise. I thought this was absurd.

Any opinions.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,567 • Replies: 30
No top replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 03:39 pm
I wouldn't be concerned. First off you only bought a couple of items. Secondly you donated some things too. Lastly, the money you did spend on these items will also go to the needy. I think he is absurd.
0 Replies

Cheeki-Jess

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 03:40 pm
Thrift
I am not trying to joke around or anthing but I really would like to know what a Thrift store is if you dont live in Australia is it like a Salvos but in another country I hope ya can answer me? Cheeki-Jess Very Happy
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 03:43 pm
I had to look up Salvos on the internet since I had no idea what it was. According to my results it is The Salvation Army in Australia. If so that is exactly what a thrift store is and actually many are Salvation Army Stores in the US also.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 03:49 pm
Yep, he's being very silly. If the store didn't want you to shop there, they wouldn't let you in.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 03:50 pm
Silly. The store is there to make money-- usually for a charity.
0 Replies

Cheeki-Jess

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 03:55 pm
Thrift Store
Thanx

LinKat I thought that would be what is was but I wasnt quite sure tahnx for your info! Very Happy

Cheeki-Jess xoxo Very Happy
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 04:15 pm
One of the factors that make thrift stores more acceptable for the needy shopper is that middle class shopper also shop there.

Also, turnover is essential for any retail store. You brought in new goods--you bought some old goods. Turnover.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 04:17 pm
And you goods will make them alot more money than you spent!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 04:35 pm
I always look around Goodwill when I donate my old stuff. Got a nice radio alarm clock once, some dress shirts too. It's also a great place to shop for Halloween costumes.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 06:00 pm
Some of them (in OZ) have some really good stuff.

A friend was retail manager for a charity chain here - and we did some shop inspections. I was amazed at some of the new things donated - although these a getting less, as factory outlets for old season stock expand.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 06:12 pm
I think perhaps your dear mate needs to visit a thift store himself, he might find something he likes.
I dont mean to sound harse here but ...
Is it below him?
Is he not thrifty?
What is it?
I dont believe it is really that he thinks its only for the needy. And who does he consider needy anyway? Are we all not needy in some way?
I find it a very peculiar reaction.
0 Replies

bromeliad

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 08:11 pm
My husband is very thrifty, but he does prefer 'quality' items (he doesn't buy much, but what he does buy is nice). He is not classist or stuck-up.

He is very moralistic, but not in a bad way and not judgemental. He may truly think that shopping at a thrift store deprives needy people. Or he might be concerned that I'll fill the house with junky stuff. Or both.

Whatever. I'm just going to make sure I donate more than I purchase. That should cover both angles.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 08:38 pm
I worked for a charity that ran thrift shops. The items in thrift shops are not meant to be sold to people in need. They are meant to be sold to people with money. There are other charities that give clothing to people who are in actual need. The charity I worked for used the money made by selling donated items to support vocational training programs at the pre-college and college level. We couldn't have survived if we priced things at rates that truly poor people could afford.

If you spend enough time around thrift shops you realize that quite well to do people shop at thrift stores. I suspect it's part of what makes some of them well-to-do. There's definitely nothing wrong with it. (unless it's one particular thrift shop that I have political issues with).
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2004 04:45 am
I shop at thrift shops all the time and I do so because I know the money is actually going to people in need. I find some awesome stuff in there and have found many things that still have the tag on them. I also know many well to do people who shop there as well, so keep on shopping ;-)
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2004 04:48 am
I buy mostly books from there, but in my younger and poorer days I was known to shop there.

I wouldn't worry about 'stealing' from the needy. They often times have other things to replace what you sold. And like other's pointed out, even by buying stuff there you're giving them money to help other people out.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2004 04:52 am
When my son was younger, he would go to some of the thrift stores in Manhattan that were connected to hospitals in upscale areas. He would pick up designer suits for 50 bucks, that were hardly used. The very wealthy wear their stuff one season, get rid of it, and take a nice tax deduction.

Where I live, all you can get in the thrift stores are some great T shirts to wear working out! Sad
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2004 04:59 am
When I lived in Mass they had really crappy thrift shops, but when I moved to Canada I was in thrift shop heaven. They even organize the cloths by size here and it doesn't get any better than that :-D
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2004 05:04 am
In a town about 20 minutes from me, there are a bunch of consignment shops. People bring in their "gently used" clothing. When the item is sold, the owner of the clothes and the owner of the store share in the proceeds. I have found that these stores, which are set up like regular shops, have higher quality merchandise than the tradtional thrift shops 'round these parts.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2004 08:35 am
We have a few consignment shops as well but, I have yet to buy any clothes in them. They are an interesting idea.
My best find of recent in the local thrift shop is a Krups coffee press for 4.00. Once in a while you can find some interesting items and there are always books.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » shopping at a thrift store
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 09:45:52