Are there any laws regarding child split custody and taking children out of the country?

Sun 28 Oct, 2012 04:09 pm

My baby is due in March and I am worried that if my ex and I get split custody of the child issued by court, he will take the child away to Pakistan (where he is from as well as his fundamentalist family).

- What are the laws regarding that?

- In addition, how do I go about making a simple court order, do I call the court? (I don't have money for a lawyer either.)

-Are the child custody laws only emphasized in America. So can he just espcape the country with my daughter, and as long as he doesn't come back to the US, he can't get arrested?

(On a side note, I left him because he was manipulative, physically, and verbally abusive).

If anyone knows anything and can help me out, that would be so very wonderful and greatly appreciated. I'm scared that I might never see my daughter again if this happens because he's been threatening to do this to me along with many other harrassments. He "had" a drug record I recently found out, but he paid a police officer off to take it off his record. I feel hopeless because I am not as manipulative as him.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,234 • Replies: 3
Topic Closed

Ceili

Sun 28 Oct, 2012 04:14 pm
@lindacrustu,
There must be a legal aid office near you, or at least mediation of some kind. These decisions would be binding. Mind you, it's pretty rare these days for one parent to be able to board any plane without a letter from a lawyer, saying that the lone parent can take a child anywhere. At least in Canada..
I know a few people who were turned away, or the child wasn't allowed to travel because the parent didn't realize they needed this document. Not all of these people are single, by the by.
0 Replies

jespah

Mon 29 Oct, 2012 07:32 am
@lindacrustu,
Get thee to a lawyer. Yesterday. This is why lawyers exist. Protect your rights and protect your child.
0 Replies

boomerang

Mon 29 Oct, 2012 07:59 am
No kid under the age of 16 can be issued a passport unless the application is signed by both parents -- the signing must be done in person, in front of a passport agent -- or there is a court order allowing only one parent to sign.

You probably don't have to worry about him taking the baby out of the country.

Talk to a lawyer. There might be some sort of "do not issue passport" alert that can be attached to the kid's social security number.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Are there any laws regarding child split custody and taking children out of the country?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 08:11:11