What are the Measures Taken to Keep the Nurses Safe from Patient Violence

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2012 09:09 am
Sometimes there are patients that have violent tendencies. As nurses , we can be vulnerable to this kind of situations. How can you protect yourself from this kind of unnecessary violence?

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2012 09:13 am
@amygarside,
You should be getting specialized training on the procedures of having multiple nurses handling a single violent patient in the initial contact. That and a well trained security force who should in theory be actually the ones to handle/restrain the violent patient.
0 Replies

Mockingclown

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2012 09:20 am
@amygarside,
Learn Kung fu.
Jokes aside, unless you're gonna be working with patients with psychiatric instability or dementia, you're not gonna experience violent patients. If you work in those areas, the hospital trains you with the proper procedures to handle most awkward or violent situations.
I've been a nurse anesthetist for six years now, and I've never been in a vulnerable kinds of situations. Again it all depends on the medical nursing field that you're in.
Joe Nation

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2012 09:52 am
@Mockingclown,
Mockingclown:
ask for a transfer down to your hospital's ER to work in triage.

If they won't let you do it, I have friends at New York's Presbyterian who'll let you work the 11-7 shifts on the weekends.

Note: there is zero training, you just start in.

Joe(su nombre, por favor)Nation

Mockingclown

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2012 10:18 am
@Joe Nation,
That's funny. Although I spend most of the time in the Operating room, I sometimes get random calls to the ER and sometimes even ICU to put in a central line, etc. I haven't felt any dangerous intentions emanating nor violent behaviors towards me from the patients. Maybe I've been lucky, who knows?

(nombre es leah ... I think that's how you say it, never used spanish since after high school.)
Joe Nation

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2012 10:35 am
@Mockingclown,
No Español? ooo, yes, you are going to have a GREAT time in NYC.

My friend is a translator in the ER. She's 20 and from Northern Spain.

She's had to learn all of the medical jargon~
(Quick what's the difference between a bruise and a hematoma?)
~~and to simultaneously translate for both
the doctors (What is the level of your pain?)
and
for the police officers (Did your husband beat you before or after he shot you?)

Joe(when are you coming?)Nation
Mockingclown

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2012 11:30 am
@Joe Nation,
Rude patients, good natured patients, all are treated humanely. When you come into the ER, don't think you'll be waited with niceties of table manners. No, what you'll see is an attitude of judgement, superiority, and somewhat an absence of kindness and courtesy in the medical profession, worst in the ER, and I'm fine with that. Being nice and courteous maybe the average protocol in other professions. In ER, it's much too hectic to have time for such amenities. If you aren’t dying, wait patiently while the more serious injuries/illnesses are treated. After the treatment, please try your best to not come back again. Sure, we are given an great opportunity to serve those in need, but once in awhile we get full of ourselves, just deal with it.

Maybe if I worked in trauma center ER predominantly, I may beg to differ with my current experience, as I've heard some bizarre stories from my girlfriends who have worked 10+ years in the ER.
I'll have to decline your invitation, I'm sufficiently enjoying my current work without too much complaints.
What is the name of this hospital in NYC that you keep speaking of?
amygarside

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2012 08:38 am
@amygarside,
Thanks for all your reply about my question. Have you ever experience being assaulted by your patients?
Joe Nation

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2012 08:51 am
@Mockingclown,
http://nyp.org/<br />

168th Street in Washington Heights.

If, through Obamacare, we can reduce the number of people showing up to ERs with inflected big toes or backs out of whack, we will be able to help those in dire need of medical care (strokes, heart attacks, GSWs, car accident trauma) much more easily and at less cost to all of us.

Joe(be well)Nation
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2012 08:56 am
@amygarside,
I do not know where you are doing your nursing, please tell us.

In the large city hospitals of the USA, the Emergency Rooms have small staffs of security personnel who monitor the behavior of patients as they are being interviewed or treated. Anyone acting violently towards medical staff is immediately restrained (either by hand or using belted restraints) afterwards they are held in a ward for psychiatric evaluation or, in the case of serious injury, handed over to NYC police for arrest and prosecution.

I hope your hospital provides you and all the other medical staff with proper protection.

Joe(Stay safe...and thank you for taking care of others)Nation
Miller

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2012 10:06 am
I once saw a male patient in bed in restraints manage to fall out of bed. When the RN went to lift him back into the bed, he bit her on the arm.

Not good as the patient had hepatitis.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2012 03:37 am
@Miller,
Miller wrote:
I once saw a male patient in bed in restraints manage to fall out of bed.
When the RN went to lift him back into the bed, he bit her on the arm.
Hannibal Lecter ?
amygarside

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2012 06:10 am
@Joe Nation,
Thank you for your concern. I have been a nurse for just a short time and the reason why I asked about this is because my nurse friend had seen this kind of incident so she was a bit concerned about it. I was just curious if other nurses experienced it before. I also read some articles about it. So I thought I ask other people about their views. Thanks for taking time out to read it.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2012 01:58 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Miller wrote:
I once saw a male patient in bed in restraints manage to fall out of bed.
When the RN went to lift him back into the bed, he bit her on the arm.
Hannibal Lecter ?

This patient also had a very dirty mind who wanted to "play" games with the Nurses.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What are the Measures Taken to Keep the Nurses Safe from Patient Violence
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 10:17:22