Do you use Sharpie

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 03:04 pm
An assortment of "felt" pens

The occasional need to wipe out a marking might require carrying around Q-Tips and a vial of solvent such as alcohol

So save me the trouble of an afternoon spent scrolling Google for the answer: Isn't there better way

For instance I envision another kind of Sharpie, one containing a solvent instead of ink. Or they ought to make an empty Sharpie that one could fill by wicking

roger

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2012 11:24 pm
@dalehileman,
Back when WordPerfect was the hot tip in word processors, I used to custom order correction in their shade of blue. It's always better to make your corrections before you print your document, of course.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2012 09:34 am
@roger,
Thanks Rog, I use Sharpie to mark for instance a metal or glass object, was hoping to find a means for erasure easily carried around
roger

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2012 11:50 am
@dalehileman,
Sorry. I misread the situation.

I don't know of such a solvent, but when you find it, I'll about bet it isn't something you want to carry around.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2012 12:04 pm
@dalehileman,
You can rub sharpie marks on glass off with a wedge of kitchen sponge - the kind that is rather bristly, or a bit of a kitchen metal scrub. Or, if you must, carry around an organic solvent.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2012 12:05 pm
@roger,
I use alcohol, perfectly harmless, but carrying around a vial is a bother so for the purpose I was hoping the industry might field a "felt" pen for the purpose

As an erstwhile inventor, Sharpie, if you're listening might I suggest the tip could pull out so you could clip it off when it took on too much color
Sturgis

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2012 12:09 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
I use alcohol

That explains a great deal.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2012 12:18 pm
@Sturgis,
Quote:
That explains a great deal.
Good one Stur, it made my whole day
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2012 12:18 pm
@dalehileman,
Geez, it just scrapes off of glass or even metal. I use sharpies to label things in the freezer, and I use glass for a lot of my containers. It comes right off when I want it to, using one of those small metal scrubbers you find in the kitchen section of your grocery store. Plastic ones may work too - I haven't tried them. That way I can put another label on the lid without just crossing out the first label.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2012 12:26 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Geez, it just scrapes off of glass or even metal.
I should have included plastic as well, marred by scraping. Otherwise Geez, thanks Oss.
roger

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2012 01:39 pm
@dalehileman,
I've tried to remove Sharpie from several binders (plastic) so as to make the new titles more readable. Lighter fluid lightened it up a bit, but didn't come close to removing the lettering. Neither did isopropyl alcohol. I'm kind of afraid that the stuff actually becomes part of the substrate. Anything much stronger would like dissolve the plastic.
Enzo

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2012 01:48 pm
@roger,
Not necessarily strong in the case with solvents, but more on the idea of like dissolves like. For example, acetone will dissolve binder plastic or calculator plastics because the polarities of both the binder & calculator and the acetone are very much the same.
roger

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2012 02:39 pm
@Enzo,
Right. My use of the word 'strong' was incorrect. Maybe I should have said 'effective'
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2012 02:45 pm
@roger,
In my memory Sharpie (made with organic solvent or at least used to be) combines with at least some plastic, or infiltrates it, whatever.

Glass - I'm an old lab tech who labelled test tubes with sharpies. You can get it the ink off relatively easily with a scrub brush, etc.
I'm also a painter, and still have a gallon of turps (better product but works the same) around the house if I need it.

So what alcohol?
I certainly hope not a good wine or scotch.
roger

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2012 02:48 pm
@ossobuco,
Isopropyl. I do now waste good ethyl alcohol.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2012 03:01 pm
@roger,
I was kidding.. as is my way.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2012 03:17 pm
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51d3%2B1TyTWL._SL500_AA300_PIbundle-12,TopRight,0,0_AA300_SH20_.jpg
dalehileman

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2012 06:24 pm
@roger,
Quote:
I've tried to remove Sharpie from several binders (plastic)…...Lighter fluid …..didn't come close to removing the lettering. Neither did isopropyl alcohol.
Ethanol works for me but you might have a more porous plastic

0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2012 06:25 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Isopropyl. I do now waste good ethyl alcohol.
Denatured is plentiful and cheap
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2012 06:25 pm
@Butrflynet,
Oh, those! When I was commuting to work on the bicycle, I always carried a couple in the seat bag. It's really hard to patch a dirty tube, and those things work great.

They haven't worked on the Sharpie markings on my old binders.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Do you use Sharpie
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 12:49:40