Learning and improving English pronunciation.

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 11:36 am
Learning English from scratch ought to start with learning English pronunciation through explanations, demonstration of correct articulation/pronunciation and through exercises/practice. Learning English pronunciation should cover major rules of reading English letters, the articulation of vowels and consonants, stress in words, in phrases, and intonation in sentences, and doing practical phonetic exercises that include listening to and pronouncing of words, phrases and sentences. I believe adequate regular long-term practice in English listening and speaking on various topics, especially oral communication practice with native speakers of English is a decisive factor in developing good English pronunciation by learners. Since there are so many English phonetics resources learners would have difficulty to choose the most appropriate and inclusive textbooks, websites, audio and video aids with phonetic exercises to practice and to improve English pronunciation. I urge readers to share their views on this issue.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 534 • Replies: 1
No top replies

JTT

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 12:11 pm
@Complete,
Quote:
Learning English from scratch ought to start with learning English pronunciation through explanations, demonstration of correct articulation/pronunciation and through exercises/practice.

I disagree on this, C. There's no reason to bore students with explanations because, like grammar explanations, they are largely a waste of time. Foreign teachers of English should teach English in an immersion style rich in context.

As little mixing as possible with the mother tongue is the most desirable option. Children have the ability to pronounce perfectly IF they are exposed to perfect pronunciation.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Learning and improving English pronunciation.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/01/2024 at 11:23:15