Multiple Antivirus?

Pitter

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2012 03:42 pm
I had to have a new LAN card installed on my computer and when the shop returned it to me they had installed ESET NOD32 Antivirus 5 as my virus protection. I wasn't sure about that program and installed Avast. Is it a problem to have two antivirus programs and should I uninstall one of them? I saw that Consumer Reports gave a generally good rating to Avast but they didn't include ESET NOD in their tests.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 2,424 • Replies: 8
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2012 04:17 pm
@Pitter,
Yes. Two antivirus programs IS a problem. Now why did they install it in the first place? Out of love? Is it a freebie? Do you think they're just padding the bill? Or ask them if your other antivirus program expired. You do realize that you have to renew antivirus programs every year in order to get the necessary updates to be able to catch each new virus threat not recognized in the older versions.
Pitter

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2012 06:12 pm
@tsarstepan,
Well I think they installed it to cover me when I started it up because the original Norton that came with the (Dell) computer was stripped off in the repair process. If having them both is a problem then I think I will go ahead and uninstall the ESET NOD32.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2012 07:10 pm
@Pitter,
Not exactly sure what you mean by "stripped off" but if it means when I expect then technically you only have the ESET program. If that's the case then the question needed to be asked is for how long is your ESET subscription and how much longer do you have on your Norton subscription and yes. That's what antivirus programs are these days. Yearly subscriptions to the updates. If the ESET is only a trial subscription and you have less then 60 or 30 days then by all means go with Norton if you still have over that much left for the subscription (already paid). DO you have the hard copy of the Norton program or the ability to redownload it from the Norton site?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2012 07:18 pm
@Pitter,
I'm not aware of any particular problem with having multiple antivirus programs. I have a couple AV programs on one of my laptops, and have had for years.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2012 07:21 pm
@Ticomaya,
Multiple antivirus programs or a single antivirus programs alongside antispyware, antimalware, antiphishing software, etc... because even though there is a lot of overlap, many of these programs if you don't have a single company internet suite are actually doing different and separate things.
Ticomaya

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2012 07:39 pm
@tsarstepan,
Yes, I have multiple AV programs alongside antispyware/malware software ... no issues.

None of these, perhaps significantly, is a Norton product.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2012 07:46 pm
@Pitter,
Pitter wrote:
If having them both is a problem then I think I will go ahead and uninstall the ESET NOD32.

I wouldn't worry about it unless you start noticing a problem. In that case, I would agree with your plan to uninstall the ESET program.
0 Replies

Rodger Hooks

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 02:24 am
@Pitter,
Hello Friends,

You can only RUN one type of Security Software usually in McAFEE your get the Firewall and Anti-Virus, there are also more Comprehensive Packages for Internet Shopping
When I DownLoad the Subscription from McAFEE it automatically Turns-Off Windows Firewall adding the McAFEE Firewall.Then the Subscription RUNS for a Year($$40.00)Updateing my PC.The Comprehensice Package RUNS about $$70.00.I have tried the ISP-provided software../I really prefer the Subscription.And the New Microsoft version of Security Software has me wary also. I find it difficult to trust the FREEBIES../I've tried the Spybot..its virtually worthless..since it doesn't know what its SCANNING../its just scanning relentlessly.I have RUN multiple SCANS and it would FIND the same(questionable)Problem(??)each SCAN. I find it can't be TRUSTED..the others.I rely on a UPDATEING SERVICE and in five years McAFEE has Defended my PC for a reasonable rate.The decision in my opinion.Is all about Internet Shopping
and McAFEE has the edge.

Thanks and Regards
Rodger Hooks
0 Replies