How Scots-Irish rascals made America

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2012 06:21 pm
NEW YORK

It was with some surprise that I happened upon the little known story of mass migration of Protestants from Ireland to America in the 1700s, 150 years before the Catholic Irish arrived on Ellis Island. It was even more surprising to find that they have had more influence over the creation and character of the nation than the Irish of New York, Boston and Chicago - the Irish of Kennedy repute.

My search for this lost chapter of the Irish Diaspora took me from Dublin to Belfast and into some of the remotest regions of the South. It was a journey on which I discovered the extraordinary contribution these intrepid migrants made to American culture and character.

I learned why they produced America legends like Davy Crockett, Edgar Allen Poe and Stephen King, why they became Second Amendment traditionalists, politically conservative, and devoutly Christian. I discovered what led them to invent country music and America's biggest spectator sport. I also learned what few Europeans understand: why no presidential hopeful seems to be able to win the White House without some help from their Southern enclaves.

From the beginning the Scots-Irish were a different breed. Hardworking, religiously devout Presbyterians, they arrived in the north of Ireland in the 1600s as the behest of King James I of England, who was keen to colonize the country. Despite constant fighting with the Irish, they managed to set up a thriving, merchant colony and celebrated their ability to freely practice Presbyterianism, far from the interfering Anglican bishops of England.

Yet, not 100 years later they were setting sail on brigantines for the New World, driven off the land by the English government's tax hikes, rack-renting and religious persecution when their linen industry grew too competitive and their religious practices too independent.

On those ships they brought their expectations for a warm welcome in a Protestant country. But it was not to be. Their sheer numbers and feisty nature overwhelmed Boston, prompting one man to cry, "There are more Irish than people here."

And so, partly bribed and partly coerced, they tumbled down the Appalachians into the welcoming arms of the Virginia and Carolina colonial governors who were only too happy to have hardy settlers buffer them from the Indians.

They lived in a wilderness beyond the reach of government, forced to elect their own leaders and become their own law. Subject to Indian attacks, they could only rely on themselves to protect their homesteads and feed their families. This environment, filled with hardworking, hard-fighting people with an aversion to religious restriction, government interference and taxation, was unlike anything in the more settled northern colonies. From it a completely different character and culture evolved.

In Virginia, they produced country music legends like the Carter family and Ralph Stanley. Elsewhere, singers like Hank Williams emerged embodying the contradiction at the heart of the Scots-Irish - a poet who could move people to tears with his sincerity, yet terrify them with his violent self-destructive streak.

Richmond was the chosen home of Scots-Irish writer Edgar Allen Poe, father of American Gothic and predecessor to kinsman Stephen King, whose stories were influenced by the horrors from the frontier that were creeping into Southern folklore.

North Carolina is also home to Junior Johnson, the notorious Scots-Irish moonshine runner and race car driver, whose rebellious outrunning of the law was part of a tradition that eventually gave rise to NASCAR, America's biggest spectator sport. But North Carolina didn't just produce rascals, it gave America James E. Webb, who put the first man on the moon.

Their feisty nature, partly derived from being under siege from the Irish, the English, the Native Americans, and the Yankees, has resulted in an entrenched militarism that has filled the ranks of the U.S. military, and given the nation warriors like Stonewall Jackson, George Patton and Jim Webb.

Their championing of governmental non-interference has entrenched them in conservative American politics and produced a long list of Scots-Irish presidents who have left a defining mark on American society: Andrew Jackson, Woodrow Wilson, Harry Truman, among others.

Perhaps the Scots-Irish strong sense of their own culture and identity was reinforced by their history of fighting the Irish, the Indians, the Civil War and the subsequent exploitation at the hands of carpetbaggers, but whatever the reason, their history in Ireland and in America has shown: leave them alone, give them a fair shake, let them feed and defend their own family, worship their own way, entertain to their own liking, and they'll keep their spirits high, work hard, play hard, and mind their own business. Three hundred years later, it seems Scots-Irish culture is America's way.

ehBeth

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2012 06:39 pm
@carolgreen145,
don't feel like crediting the author?

the article

http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2012/042012/04062012/692146

the book

http://www.karenmccarthy.eu/books.html

http://www.karenmccarthy.eu/images/pics/otheririshcover.jpg
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2012 07:11 pm
@carolgreen145,
I guess it is not a coincidence, Carolgreen145. You've done it again here, copied an old thread to a new thread.

http://able2know.org/topic/187563-1

What's going on?
ehBeth

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2012 07:26 pm
@Butrflynet,
seriously bizarre

or maybe bizarrely serious
McTag

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2012 01:53 am
@ehBeth,

Good sleuthing, girls. Two serious subjects in one.

Interesting original topic. I believe the Scots founded the Ku Klux Klan among other things, so obviously not all good.
Setanta

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2012 04:10 am
@McTag,
Not necessarily. The first Klan was founded in Tennessee by veterans of the Confederate States Army. Nathan Bedford Forrest, a former slaver trader and Confederate Lieutenant General is usually credited as its founder. General George Gordon of Georgia was the "philosophical" leader of the Klan. In 1870, because of the criminal activities of "night riders," both Forrest and Gordon disbanded the Klan organizations which they controlled. Many, many groups had adopted the name, but a congressional investigation cleared Forrest and Gordon of any involvement with the night riders, who attacked freed slaves and "capet baggers," who were northerners who had gone to the South to either help the freed slaves, or to exploit the situation there to their own, personal benefit. That Klan died out for a lack or leadership and organization.

The second Klan was founded in Georgia in 1915 by a defrocked minister named Simmons, who exploited the murder trial of a Jewish businessman in Atlanta, and the popularity of the novel The Clansman--which idealized the night riders as white knight defenders of white, christian society--and the motion picture The Birth of a Nation, which was based on that novel. That Klan became very popular, and even spread to the North. It eventually died away, too, from a lack of organization and leadership.

The most recent Klan formed in the 1960s to opposed the civil rights movement, and was equally as disorganized and lacking in leadership as the first two. It was, however, just a virulent and murderous as the night riders had been in the late 1860s and the 1870s.

What survives is racism and white supremacists. The Klan is just a convenient umbrella term for those who would exploit those social diseases.
McTag

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2012 01:31 pm
@Setanta,

Well thanks maestro Setanta.

I can't remember where I originally read that, but maybe it was something Bill Bryson wrote.
Setanta

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2012 06:45 am
@McTag,
Bill Bryson is pretty damned unreliable. I was reading his book about the English language, and he had a list of odd names for pubs. One was Tumbledown Dick's. He said he had no idea where that came from. Idiot. When Oliver Cromwell died, he was succeeded by his almost useless son Richard. Richard Cromwell feared the wrath of the royalists, so he fled England after less than a year. The people ever after called him Tumbledown Dick. I've had trouble reading his books even as beach books when you don't really care if it's any good.

Many of the people of the American South were Scotch-Irish, but that is not a basis upon which accuse them of being responsible, as an ethnic group, for one of the most heinous organizations in history.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2012 07:02 am
@Setanta,
I find that very hard to believe, seeing as how the name Tumbledown Dick is hardly an obscure piece of history.

What I do know, is that although there are quite a few pubs, (some closed, some still open, others transformed into music venues,) called Tumbledown Dick or The Tumbledown Dick there aren't any called Tumbledown Dick's.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2012 08:05 am
@izzythepush,
1. Why is it so hard to believe Bill Bryson doesn't know something? he's not a historian.

2. Tumbledown Dick's - Google it. Even I can find a couple. There are Tumbledown Dick's, and it's a name that's been around for hundreds of years.

http://www.trademarkia.com/logo-images/greenwich-mean-time-associates/tumbledown-dicks-72456590.jpg

http://www.pickarestaurant.com/ctstate/ctstaterestaurants/dessert_restaurant_tumbledown_dicks_cos_cob_06807_203-869-1820.asp

http://www.showmelocal.com/profile.aspx?bid=664718

there was one in Antigua in the 1980's

http://www.antiguaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3100

(wierd connection there, as there apparently was a Bryson's store of some type there as well)

http://www.danthoniadesigns.com/resources/history-of-house-signs.html

Quote:
. Of course, it was not unheard of for commoners to name their houses: in her invaluable little book on house naming, Joyce Miles notes several names from the 1700s, including Duckpool, Tadhill, and even Tumbledown Dick's.

http://www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=11648

Quote:
ssage | Report message
New Mon 20 Aug 12 10:28
A Sartorial Question - Duncan
>> Happy memories. Tumbledown Dick's, Farnborough,during my army days in the late 1970's

Ah! Tumbledown Dick's!

Which regiment?

http://www.themorrisring.org/sites/default/files/traditions/stanton_harcourt_21Mar2011.pdf

restaurant, pub, houses ...
~~~

Do you start your day looking for something that Setanta posts to disagree with, and then disagree on principle without bothering to find out (2 seconds on Google) if he was right or wrong? It's one thing to not have the same opinions about things but it looks silly when they're facts anyone can look up.

~~~

yes yes I know. you meant there aren't any pubs called Tumbledown Dick's where you think it matters

I'm seriously calling B. S.

izzythepush

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2012 10:37 am
@ehBeth,
You can seriously call whatever you want, I'm not bothered either way. No, I do not follow Malvolio around, but I do come across his posts.

None of your examples are about places in England, let alone pubs, except for the one in Farnborough, which was wrong. Here's a picture.

http://img01.beerintheevening.com/13/1392ee786995d3180d3107b49cf20e44.jpg

Notice the lack of apostrophe and s.

Why is this important? Malvolio castigated Bryson for knowing far less than he does, and mentioned a very well known fact just to prove how very clever he is. Maybe Bryson was wrong, (which I doubt,) but he's a very warm friendly human being with a wonderful sense of humour, not a pompous, egotistical, humourless fop.

Malvolio was talking about English pub names not American restaurants, and for such a clever chap one would think Malvolio would be aware that many pubs across England are named after famous people, not famous people's possessions/attributes etc etc.

ehBeth

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2012 10:51 am
@izzythepush,
Fine. You like Bryson. It doesn't mean that he get things right in his books.

Tell Bryson how pubs should be named.
farmerman

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2012 11:04 am
@ehBeth,
every author gets criticism such as "riddled with error" or"doesnt know anything".
The fact is mostly that most non fiction authors prefer to write about something they know nothing about and use the writing experience as a chance to learn, The fact that Bryson is mostly a humorist, I wouldnt judge him by the "riddled with errors" mantle.

I think his writing style is pretty damn good.

Chissakes, even Einstein fucked up in an area with which he was well familiar. Bryson makes sentences from two or theree word 'jackulations and hes great for his Dave Barry kind of exaggeration.
His"Travels in a Small Country" or whatever the hell it was called, was mostly a journal of a walk around Britain where he got across his incredulity and amazement at little things most Brits take for granted but Ameriacans have their flabbers gasted.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2012 11:26 am
@farmerman,
Bryson clearly has a lot of fans. I'm not in that group (do a search here ... I keep picking his books up at thrift shops and still getting annoyed by how little I like his writing ... the covers keep sucking me in).

The idiot behind the various carolgreen names steals threads and posts from A2K and other forums and plops them here without attribution. That's what 'interests' me about this thread, and why I came by to see what had been happening - and it was the standard ITP routine.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2012 11:59 am
I am continually intrigued by the carolgreen phenomenon. I would love to know what purpose the creator of this character intends. I continue to think that carolgreen must be a bot, although that's the purest speculation, because i have nothing but vague impressions upon which to base it.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » How Scots-Irish rascals made America
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 05:39:08