williams22

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2012 12:27 am
@DrewDad,
Social media plays an important role for the job seekers to get into their dream jobs, because it helps them to maintain better network.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2013 03:25 pm
@DrewDad,
Had another interview this week. Yippee.

I seem to be improving my interview skills, though, since I only had two awkward moments to wince about afterward. Even those were rather mild.

They were supposed to make a decision today, but they notified me that it will be at least Monday before they make a decision.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2013 03:45 pm
@DrewDad,
Good work, Drewd.

What ever happened to Jet Fire (I liked him or her)
DrewDad

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2013 04:27 pm
@ossobuco,
Some of the more interesting questions asked:

What would you do if you won the lottery?

Suggest a company party/company activity.

roger

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2013 05:18 pm
@DrewDad,
Damn. I am so innocent, I would have asked why you thought you could do the job. I guess that's why they get the big bucks.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2013 05:37 pm
@DrewDad,
1) quit

2) so funny - I remember a hospital picnic in 1959 as all this bushwah was ongoing even back then.
Now? A company activity?
What kind of company? I would need to know more.

ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2013 06:27 pm
@ossobuco,
I'll add that I had a friend in landarch school who quit because she got a great job managing corporate retreats.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2013 07:33 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

What were some of the questions you asked them?
JPB

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2013 07:57 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

And what's up with the question, "what's your preferred work environment?"

Er... professional? Reasonably quiet?

This one is a no brainer for me. My preferred work environment is one where the morale of the staff is high, the staff are all working towards accomplishing the goals in a cooperative and positive manner (vs one person trying to be the "winner" on the backs of everyone else's labor -- don't say that part), turnover is low, and the culture is one of positive growth.

Quote:
What interview question has really tripped you up in the past?

This one almost caused me to not get a job I really wanted. Not because I wanted the job, but because I wanted to relocate to the town it was in and they had an opening. I gave that answer. That's not exactly what the interviewer was looking for. He wanted to know why I wanted to work for *them*, not that I was interested in any job in that town. He asked four times; I gave the same answer four times. When I finally realized that he had the company logo branded into his forehead and he was expecting some pablum about what an honor it would be to work for that company then I gave him that answer.

Quote:
Phone interviewer asked "what's an accomplishment you really take pride in?" I drew a blank on this, since most of the stuff I could think of was way too involved for a phone interview. My final answer: "I try to take pride in everything. I'm happiest when customers don't have to call me." Too glib?

Definitely not too glib, especially if you said you'd be happy to supply some specific examples of your work at a personal interview.

Quote:
Appearance: Should I shave or keep my "suburban dad" goatee? (Eyebrows and beard have a bit of gray, is that a concern?)

I realize this is from last fall. I hope you didn't shave.

DrewDad wrote:

I don't think I'd want that job.

Good luck on this one or the next one you decide to try for!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2013 11:04 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
What were some of the questions you asked them?

Besides basic questions about work environment, the team I'd be on, technology that they use, etc.:

1. Are you a) still running from VC funds, b) operating from revenue, or c) actually profitable?

(I'm sorry, but I'm just not willing to jump off a cliff with some idiot who's spending his way through someone else's money.)

Turns out, they're actually profitable, and want to avoid ever using VC.

2. What excites you about working here? (Got some pretty bland answers to that one.)

0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2013 11:44 am
@chai2,
What are some of the better questions you've been asked?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2013 08:17 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Now I wish I'd made a Fiddler on the Roof joke....

"I'd like a staircase going up, and one going down, and one going nowhere... just for show."
0 Replies