Japanese Katana

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2012 04:10 am
Hello Community,

A katana is a Japanese sword. You don't sharpen a katana the way you would with a knife. A knife requires that you sharpen the sharp edge of the blade; a katana requires that you grind the sides to produce the cutting and sharp edges of the blade. Along with grinding, you must polish the sword. Polishing will not only allow the katana to shine, but it will help improve any imperfections in the blade.

With Regards,
Daniel Rizzo
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 1,031 • Replies: 5
No top replies

neko nomad

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2012 06:34 pm
@Daniel Rizzo,
Tell us more....dozo; like, he workmanship in producing a laminated blade with two two shades of metal color (different hardnesses).
I vaguely remember the softer steel is a defense characteristic.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2012 06:44 pm
@Daniel Rizzo,
Just once, at the old Washington Judo Club on Florida Ave., somebody brought a (real) one of those things in for people to look at, and I mean if you even looked at the thing halfway hard you were bleeding.....
oralloy

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2012 12:04 am
@Daniel Rizzo,
Daniel Rizzo wrote:
Hello Community,

A katana is a Japanese sword. You don't sharpen a katana the way you would with a knife. A knife requires that you sharpen the sharp edge of the blade; a katana requires that you grind the sides to produce the cutting and sharp edges of the blade. Along with grinding, you must polish the sword. Polishing will not only allow the katana to shine, but it will help improve any imperfections in the blade.

With Regards,
Daniel Rizzo

I'd rather have a patten-welded broadsword from the migration period -- with a ring-hilt if possible.
oralloy

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2012 12:11 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
Just once, at the old Washington Judo Club on Florida Ave., somebody brought a (real) one of those things in for people to look at, and I mean if you even looked at the thing halfway hard you were bleeding.....

There are some really nice antique ones advertised on-line.

The price isn't given on the web, but I suspect these three are around 10 million Euros apiece.

http://www.nihonto.ca/yukimitsu-2
http://www.nihonto.ca/sadazane
http://www.samuraisword.com/nihonto_juyo/TBJ/Yoshioka_Ichimonji/index.htm
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2012 05:14 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
Daniel Rizzo wrote:
Hello Community,

With Regards,
Daniel Rizzo

I'd rather have a patten-welded broadsword from the migration period -- with a ring-hilt if possible.

Bah! That was supposed to be: pattern-welded.
0 Replies