I have a connection to that book!!

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2012 08:25 pm
I was so excited today when Mo told me that they were reading "The Outsiders" for class.

I lived in that city during those times, an old boyfriend was family friends with the author, they filmed part of the movie in my friend W's house, I stomped around the area.... and.... and.... and....

Wow!

What book do you have a close connection to?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,723 • Replies: 4
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2012 08:38 pm
@boomerang,
http://img2.imagesbn.com/images/101850000/101856155.jpg

they're about my hometown

they were written just before I was born

I met some of the original characters when I was the age they were when they written about

the books give me goosebumps whenever I read them

~~~

I have other connections to the author through his nephew, but knowing the 'girls' when they were older ladies put things into an unusual context - I'm one of the people who really knows how things turned out IRL.
boomerang

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2012 08:45 pm
@ehBeth,
Oh ehBeth! I adore Robertson Davies. He's one of my very favorites. "What's Bred In The Bone" was an amazing experience. He is the only author I have ever gone to hear read live.

It has been way too long since I've read his books and now I'm putting him on my list to get to and enjoy again.

Can you feel my jealousy for you all the way across the continent?
farmerman

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2012 09:10 pm
@boomerang,
Im a friend of Mark Bowden , whose publisher will soon be releasing an "authorized" version of the killing of bin LAden written by MArk.In his infrequent relaxation periods while he was writing the account, Ive been priviledged to hear him discuss his writing process of this book and , besides being a damn good writer of non-fiction, He will make all his historical narratives interesting. His training had been as a professional journalist so his more famous pieces of work , like Blackhawk Down, Killing Pablo, and Guests of the Ayatollah, were all massive chronicles of his investigative reporting skill.

Ive given Mark several hunks of my own technical writing and hes given me some valuable tips on making it more readable. (That is, when he got done laughing at my word choices).

roger

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2012 09:56 pm
@farmerman,
Really! I read Blackhawk down, and it really captured the confused and ambiguous instructions that I have always associated with Army operations.
0 Replies