How to develop skills in English listening comprehension

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2012 10:41 am
In order to have good skills in listening comprehension in English and to speak it fluently, a learner should practise listening to audio and video aids in English (dialogues, thematic texts and narrative stories) with subsequent speaking. It is preferable to have English transcripts of audio and video material. I suggest that learners practise listening comprehension with subsequent speaking on a variety of topics and with materials for all levels on a regular long-term basis in the following sequence:

1. Listen to each sentence several times. Alongside listening see and read each sentence in the transcript.

2. Make sure you understand everything clearly in each sentence in terms of pronunciation, vocabulary and grammar.

3. Without looking into the transcript, try to repeat each sentence (say it aloud) exactly as you have heard it. Being able to repeat a sentence means that a learner has remembered its content.

4. Listen to that particular conversation or text (story) in short paragraphs or chunks, say each paragraph aloud, and compare to the transcript.

5. Listen to the whole conversation or story without interruption several times, and try to tell the content of the whole conversation or text (story) you’ve heard. You can write key words and phrases, or main ideas as a plan, or questions on that particular dialogue or text to make easier for you to convey the content in English. It is important to compare what you’ve said to the transcript.

It is a good idea to record one’s speech on audio aid to compare it with the original audio/video recording.
I believe that for practising listening comprehension and speaking in English it is a good idea to include various practical topics for potential needs of learners with comprehensive vocabulary on each topic. As you know the content of materials matters a great deal.
Ready-made thematic dialogues, questions and answers on conversation topics, thematic texts (informative texts and narrative stories), grammatical usage sentences (in the form of dialogues and texts), and sentences with difficult vocabulary on various topics, especially with fixed phrases and idioms can be used in practising listening comprehension in English.
It’s possible and effective to practise listening comprehension and speaking in English on one’s own this way through self-check using transcripts, books, audio and video aids to provide additional solid practice and to accelerate mastering of English.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,554 • Replies: 6
No top replies

JPLosman0711

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2012 03:48 pm
@Complete,
http://a0.twimg.com/profile_images/2453620559/image.jpg
0 Replies

Complete

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 02:13 pm
User JPLosman0711,
Do you consider your "advice" to me sound and reasonable (words in the picture as a reply to my previous post)? Why don't you follow your own advice? Show all who read this post of mine how smart and clever you are!
Look before you leap!
JPLosman0711

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 03:22 pm
@Complete,
I'm not interested in showing anyone how 'smart' I am. I know enough to realize there's no value in that.
Complete

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 03:45 pm
@JPLosman0711,
You believe that your empty talk makes you right. Why haven't you been able to present any explanations and reasoning behind your weird statements that do not pertain to the topic on which I originally expressed my views.
Talk to the point and explain what you mean exactly. Why can't you present any let alone valid views, arguments and facts/evidence to support your claim? What makes you right with your baseless empty allegations against me?
JPLosman0711

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 03:48 pm
@Complete,
You're just a ******* idiot.
Complete

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 04:08 pm
@JPLosman0711,
What you've just written applies to you, not me. You have provided verbal evidence of that! You badly need mental help!
0 Replies