I Don't Know Which End Is Up ?

MontereyJack

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2012 07:08 pm
You're probably just going to get a nice plant, no actual avocados to eat--generally not warm enough or sunny enough where most of us live (and maybe. I don't know, nothing around to pollinate the fruit???). BUT, something to do with your avocados before you plant them: if there is a Vietnamese restaurant near you, do they do AVOCADO MILK SHAKES? They are YUMMY. I think avocsdos are fruit, after all. If not, you can make your own with avocado, milk, ice cream, maybe with ice cubesand some sugar, and blend it all together in a blender.
nextone

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2012 08:54 pm
@MontereyJack,
You're right re no fruit. NYC not the tropics although steam heat on in the winter. I wonder if pollination or cross fertilization may be needed to produce fruit. Will do a Google search. Never had any flowering on any avocado plant, just leaves. Newest plant in water has many roots emerging. Tomorrow I'll put it into soil and wait for the stem. Second most recent is now about 6" high and the leaves have opened. Have to keep rotating pot to keep stem straight. It bends toward the sun. Am enjoying developments and being in the grove.
roger

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2012 08:58 pm
@nextone,
Just in case noone mentioned it, nextone, you've got a darn good title for this one.
nextone

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2012 08:00 pm
@roger,
Thanks, Roger. I was just asking it as it was.
0 Replies

nextone

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 08:41 am
Progress Report:

About a month since I potted last pit in earth, had started it in water. In the last few days a stem has grown up and out, and today I saw two additional stems emerging. This is a huge pit, nearly baseball circumference., and now I'm wondering if I should let all three stems grow, or should I cut two?

What's the best choice?
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 01:09 pm
@nextone,
Let it grow as is. You can always prune it later. Are there any leaves emerging?
nextone

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 05:14 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butterflynet,

Yes, each stem is topped by tiny furled leaves. Watchful waiting to see how growth progresses will be the action/inaction for the next few days.
nextone

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2013 11:34 pm
@nextone,
Happy progress report: four stems each about five inches tall, each with many leaves. (This is a very big pit.) Am letting it do its thing. Thanks again to all for the advice.
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 12:15 am
@nextone,
I'm going to be very envious if you end up getting some fruit on it.

If it looks like it is mature enough to do so, you might consider pinching back the new set of leaves on each stem periodically to encourage it to keep producing good roots and encourage more horizontal growth rather than vertical growth so the stems don't get leggy.
0 Replies